open list of project proposals
for CHT season 7
→ also see next.totalism.org
< RFC+ >
2021-02-11 full refresh
* 🔗todos - what can you do for the project, at any level?
* 🔗works - general focus semaphore for long-term/recurring projects
* 🔗tech-tree - an overview of CHT infrastructure categories (including next steps)
* 🔗history - previous subseasons are full of (un)finished projects
Table of Contents
PREFIXES → Project Categories
INFRA = new infrastructure & maintenance
→ 🔗stuff, 🔗tech-tree, ...
SYS = research & systematic lists, overviews
THEORY = generalized reflection (manifests, research, ...)
→ 🔗commonground, ...
TACTICS = operational specification (protocols, ...)
→ 🔗protocols, 🔗hackbases, ...
PR/SPREAD = promotion & public relations
MEDIA = hypermedia, representation systems
→ 🔗representation-systems, 🔗E2H, ...
DEV = software & hardware development, deployment (servers), ...
OPS = administrative operations (archives, grants, bureocracy, treasury, ...)
EVENTS = public happenings
LAND = practical & research nature-culture interventions
ECON/LIM0 = economics, supply chains, distribution, ...
DIY = hands-on, tool & materials work
ART = artistic production
*** → GENERAL / EVERY TIME
* Find a good life routine
Hang out, read books, eat good food, drink wine, swim in the ocean.
* Expand the knowledge commons
Have general discussions and write them down.
Weave the ideas into existing and new documents on the fully open-editable website.
Read 🔗RFCs (documents just before release), improve their quality, push towards general release.
* Order new equipment & expand material commons
Defining, researching, selecting, financing, buying, shipping/delivering ... new equipment.
ARE BUYING → 🔗ordering
HERE → 🔗stuff
Also related → 🔗lim0.
* Software: curate — deploy — learn — define — develop
* Share media and data
* Maintain a functional living and lab space
* Fix and DIY
Many small projects, especially electornics, waiting to be finished, documented and put to use. ;)
*** → IN FOCUS
LAST UPDATED: 2021-02-11
PROJECTS RIGHT NOW ARE FOCUSING ON THE KUNSTHAL GENT RESIDENCY (FALL 2021) & CHT 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY.
MAIN TOPICS ARE REPLICABILITY, EXPANDING OUR HYPERMEDIA SYSTEM, A SHIFT IN OUR INFRASTRUCTURE, AND SETTING THE NEXT 4-YEAR PLAN.
[!] ECONOMICS/DEV -- Postcapitalist supply chains
Immediately deployable reimagination of distribution.
[!!*] DIY/INFRA -- Maintain Trucko van
→ 🔗trucko-now !
We bought the tools to do body work.
We learned the lessons after the first attempt in 2019. :)
[!] INFRA/OPS -- Get a (sail)boat
Could probably be docked in El Jablito, Fuerteventura (CHT7C site!).
We might start with just salvaging a tiny wooden boat, some seem abandoned here!
→ 🔗boating !
[!!**] INFRA/OPS -- Find and buy second van
2021/02 : Buying a second LT @ Fuerteventura !
[!*] ART/THEORY -- Post-Postmodernist Art
Beyond classic/mimetic — modernist — postmodernist.
Contemporary art is mostly whimsical and inconsequential — only cynically engaging its broader context.
Considering the present — environmental and political — situation, this is aesthetically grotesque.
Assemble manifesto and practices:
* Establish measure of Urgency, and a consequent ethics-politics-aesthetics.
* Call-out all the bullshitt.
* New curatorial strategies - what is Totalist curation?
[!] TACTICS -- Base type 5: Squatting
Document the process of occupying a house, with a case in progress.
2021/02: We have a candidate house in El Jablito.
[!!*] SPREAD/ -- What is to be done?
For newcomers, to fill in:
* subflow !
* goals (general) !
* activities (planned projects) !
[!*] TACTICS/SPREAD -- Overview all Hackbase types
→ 🔗hackbases !
[!] TACTICS/SPREAD -- High-level CHT talk
Position the project in the general situation.
Think about what we are currently doing, and where we could move.
Document problems & possible solutions.
* Lack of liquid capital
* Unstable timing:
Can be solved with:
* fixed timing (=yearly "A", "B" and "C" seasons)
* then supplemented by "X" SEASONS (if by 🔗flocking)
* Worldwide situation developing fast
-> 🔗consolidation !
* Lack of people power:
* realize need to do the job (and only quit if there is alternatives)
* Precarious, unstable conditions to work:
-> 🔗consolidation !
* Less experimentation, more release.
[!*] PR/SPREAD -- Overview all PR (promotion, public relation)
* full overview of 🔗pr
* find more executive people for the projects.
* have more participation in 🔗works
* less lurkers
[!!] PR/MEDIA/DEV -- Improve keeping people updated
* Send regular site "patches" to mailing list
Make a system for this !!!
* Opt-in to specific topics
Ties to 🔗list !!!
* Basics (new stuff, announcement in due time, general open calls to action, etc)
* political/intepersonal protocols
* software development,
* consolidation/intersub (other orgs, calendar, etc).
* Report to newsmedia
Ties to 🔗left-media, 🔗postmedia.
Have a "press kit", etc.
[!!**] MEDIA/PR -- New version of main website
* Make a user tester group.
* Relate to XXX🔗survey
* Assemble, reread content from other pods, internals, old wikis etc.
[!!] SYS/TACTICS -- Rethink & reconnect fellow travellers
”Too many college radicals are two-timing punks. The only reason you should be in college is to destroy it.”
― Abbie Hoffman, Steal This Book
Be consequential with allies —
No more liberal imulacra alliances
🔗alike page is good, but lacking.
* It needs to merge with 🔗intersub and even 🔗postmarket.
* Develop "Call-out culture" for anyone involved with, based on distinct re-processed set of values.
Who are really our closest organisations? Are we comrades, or are we "friends"?
[!] SYS -- Research and list other island activity
There is 8 Canary islands, we've only been on 3 so far.
We do not know much about the initiatives or people there.
* list, map (PC)
* go there
* send 100 mails to these places:
write generic communiques !!!
[!!] TACTICS/LIM0 -- Hackbase-In-A-Box (HIAB)
Standardize "off the shelf" replication of CHT infrastructure.
write it down:
BOXES and WHAT IS IN THEM
FLOW OF STUFF
develop this into a purchasable item (#lim0):
* possibly, find an investor (Vinay?)
* adopt + note down in excel-like system
* CONTINUE ON "LEVELS" SYSTEM OF BASIC INFRA!
[!*] OPS/PR/SYS -- Develop stronger local contacts
Who could we work with?
Needs: Spanish language.
[!*] OPS -- Pursue grants and CFPs
* we have 🔗extrabody available as our fiscal sponsor (Belgium).
* we have developed new grants processes, materials
* we got better at tracking grants
[~] ECONOMICS -- Communist Conspiracy, 2nd council
* A week-long council on topic of 🔗postmarket ("Communist Conspiracy").
* We are readying to launch 🔗comrade-license, and looking for partners.
* This will be one of the main topics of our Kunsthal Gent residency (Fall 2021).
Also → 🔗subfinance.
[!*] ART/EVENTS -- Develop CHT exhibitions
Develop and collect: content and systems, to present the project in different formats:
* exhibitions → ###
* workshops → [.:teaching]
* lectures → ###
[!] MEDIA/THEORY -- Representation systems
[!!!*] EVENT/GRANT -- Kunsthal Gent Development residency (Fall 2021)
[!] THEORY/LAND/INFRA -- Totalist City
Type 6 base reseach.
Needed: sociologists, architects, philosophers, etc.
[!] TACTICS/SPREAD -- Content editions & Book
Publish smaller editions & prepare a larger book project.
[!] SYS/TACTICS -- Food Systems & Breadbasket failures
"""According to the UN’s Food and Agricultural Organization (Statistics Division 2016), a relatively small area of the world, 23 percent of total cropland, accounts for a large proportion of total global cereal production, with most of the area devoted to three major cereal crops: maize (70.3 percent), wheat (69.3 percent), and rice (84.5 percent)."""
* What would a MBBF (Multi Breadbasket Failure) look like?
* What would be the dramaturgy of such a collapse?:
How long into the Sowing-to-Harvest timeline would we realize this?
How would panic buying play out?
[!] WRITING/PR -- Make project & website more accessible, easier to understand
* improve basic project definitions
* do more user testing! (find ways to attract users)
* connect with 🔗dev-visu, 🔗representation.systems
Ask: What worked in the past?
Positive examples (or at least attempts) on site?
At the same time: consider difference of "complicated" and "complex".
Don't be bullied by "not user friendly" cries by people who never wanted to spend 5 minutes looking at it anyway.
[!] STUDIO/TACTICS -- NOISE TEMPLES)))))
[!*] OPS/PR -- Activate project followers & Increase remote participation
No more lurkers ;-)
Find ways to encourage people to be more active.
Activate & get more help from people that are not on-site.
Define and engage "remote crew".
Important and under-utilized so far !
The project has a mid-sized following:
>50 @ telegram
>700 @ twitter
>200 @ mailing list
>1000 @ facebook
>300 @ instagram
2020/2021 push, especially in Telegram group, showed that more active and "imposing" engagement leads to better outcomes, even at the (low) price of some exits — by people who never contriibuted in any way, and could be predicted to (not) do so.
[!] INFRA/DIY -- Hypertent (and general tents technology)
"Hypertent is an environment sensing, computer-controlled, motor-actuating pole & textile structure."
[!*] CONSOLIDATION -- push HACC
* participate in meetings (every 10th of month, ~5PM)
* develop their pads
* involve in CHT related materials
<---------------------------------- (new) FOCUS ↑↑↑
*** → PROPOSED
PROJECTS THAT ARE NOT IN FOCUS
MIGHT BE INTERESTING & SIMPLE TO PICK UP BY SOMEBODY
[!] TRIP -- Explore other islands with van
Need: DRIVER that stays for 1 month minimum.
[!] SYS/LAND -- Farming in Canarias
* create a site that merges what we have already !!! :
ties to #garduino #herding etc
* prepare ENG/ESP statement for collaboration
* work with people:
* +manuel.potato.farmer !
* alejandro (has land in tabayesco)
* +kos and +gonzalo also !
* explore the island and tag best practices!:
define/merge oldie system of "tagging people progress":
(has solar panel? has water mgmt? has advanced crops? ...)
* problem : it's long term, so we need to either:
b) collaborate + monitor
c) have something that works in the short run (<3 months), and stage it at start
[~] ECONOMICS/OPS -- A month of trading
Experiment: Making money in the financial system.
* Is it hard, or easy?
* How far could we go in month with Wikipedia🔗Quant stuff?
* If we put in 100€, what would we get out?
* How can trading easily be compounded, shared? #collaboration
* Who's doing similar things?
[!] EVENTS -- Trucko as a mobile hacklab
→ 🔗trucko-mobile !
HOLD: no drivers :)
[!] EVENTS/ART -- Pirate Cinema Clubs
7m LED throw + Dolby pro logic surround sound + inflatable furniture + bbq.
HOLD: no drivers. no generator power. corona plague.
→ 🔗tenesar-pcc !
[~] LAB -- More DIY, but non-gimmick science
Lots of work here:
... but what can we actually integrate to daily life and use?
use as infrastructure → 🔗tech-tree ?
[~] ART/MEDIA -- Nature & Hypermedia
* something for local people (intrigue! confusion! fear!) — happening! vanguard!
* expand our art portfolio
* assemble & expand art technical infrastrucure
* look cool on instagram
in nature (in desert / on a rock wall / desert trees / ruins architecture / 🔗trucko)
example: graphs like 🔗graph-index
* SURROUND NATURE SOUND:
poly-speaker setups in volcanoes
* SENSORS & ACTUATORS
[~] SENSORS/SCIENCE -- Microscopy
[~] SENSORS/SCIENCE -- Spectrometry
Build & find our uses for this.
inspired by +public.lab
[~] MEDIA/ART -- Lifestyle representation
"A framework that enables description / representation of a lifestyle, and as a consequence, comparison between lifestyles, and as a consequence of that, switching lifestyles."
<---------------------- (new) PROPOSED ↑↑↑
*** → ON HOLD
PROJECTS NOT CONSIDERED IN FOCUS BY CURRENT CREW
[~R] LOCAL/EVENTS -- Organize local events
🔗teaching — programme
🔗trucko-mobile — travelling events platform
🔗regular — offline+online hybrid events
Connecting more with locals:
* regular weekly events, like:
* WED: hack-together in library
* SUN: generator party (generator + projector + loud sound = desert film/music)
* one-time events:
* technical workshops, see 🔗teaching
* public presentation of camp, as site
* public presentation at cultural venues
* art (residencies, own production, etc)
[~R] INFRA/TACTICS -- Reorganize and document project equipment
* (to fit in the van better)
* always: buy more IKEA boxes #ordering
* find better ways to group by use contexts
* find good ways to document this
* ... maybe involve "inventory management" software ?
* ... bar codes?
[~] STUFF -- fix the drone
* order & install new engines
* learn to fly in auto-mode :)
* TODO: check legality:
[!] ELECTRONICS/POWER -- DC-regulation
Have a bunch of buck/boosts.
* put in boxes
* ready for multiples → #lim0
[~] LAND -- Birds and Cats
"Feral cats kill an estimated 480 million birds in the US each year"
There are existing organisations working with that in Lanzarote:
* Punctum photographers
* Island Ecology and Evolution Research Group (IPNA, CSIC)
* Archipelago Chinijo
Domestic and semi-wild cats are a direct threat to birds.
* What is the population, and other factors that can be (or are) traced?
* What is the numeric scale of the problem?
* What can be done to counter this?
* Are there laws in place, are they respected?
* What is the state of protected areas?
* The cost of pets and pet food:
* https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/22/africa/botswana-elephants-hunting-intl-scli/index.html (bushmeat as pet food)
[~] DEV/INFRA/MEDIA -- CHT Radio — general media
Something general to listen to.
* use mpd to stream, from server
* devise a schedule
* curated podcasts
* curated music
* curated other media (https://media.ccc.de, etc)
[~] DEV/INFRA/MEDIA -- CHT CAMP COMM
* project androids, via 🔗dev-android-repurpose
* all residents in group call
* push to talk (with different priority settings)
* "always connected, without physical proximity":
#hyperconscience #workflow #intersub
[!] OPS -- Collaboration outside of subseasons
[!] INFRA: High-level project infrastructure overview
* advance subfields: architecture, energetics, washing, studio...
* read, re-write and publish existing documentation
* ready for book project
[~] TRIP/FUTURE -- CHT goes to Latin America
>lies is talking with different people in Chile, Bolivia, El Salvador, Mexico
[~] DEV -- Offline maps & navigation development
Continue work from CHT6B. Based on OsmAnd.
* document the new software parts we've developed
* make them easier to deploy
* check advances in mainline OsmAnd
* move 🔗maps away from Google MyMaps !
[~] OPS/EVENT -- Advance cooperation with local governments
A project with a local Ayuntamiento or Cabildo.
We started talks during CHT5-A (Haria).
Involve 🔗canarias institutions !
* ↓ (local events)
[!] INFRA -- Secondary project storage
Find a place where we can store our extra stuff.
#) ASK PEOPLE:
for (temporary) storage space
(temporary) storage space
#) BUY land
#) PIRATE / WILD HIDEOUT
 INFRA/MEDIA: mobile publishing house
* make instant-publications, zines, manuals/protocols, etc
* we have already a lot to just make this working...:
* organise a specific tool-box:
* stapler (>lies has a big one, to make publications)
!!! we need an inverter that can run the laser printer.
[!] •INFRA• Washing Machine
#tomerge : (i wrote options somewhere before)
* hand washing - need more buckets !!!
* set up a public station ?
* rogue apts use ?
* +tila ??
<---------------------------- (new) ON HOLD ↑↑↑ ↓↓↓ AUX
*** → AUX
THERE IS MUCH MORE GOING ON, AT VARIOUS LEVEL OF DOCUMENTATION.
FOR CLARITY, SMALLER & LESS EXPLICATED PROJECTS ARE MOVED TO AN INTERNAL DOCUMENT.
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.