You write Etherpads
and they are transformed 2
Author all sorts of web documents, or use as a content management system for wiki-like sites.
E2h auto-generates HTMLs by transforming and styling Etherpads.
Last updated @ 2021-02-16
by @dcht00 (email@example.com / CHT hackbase).
Table of Contents
—REVERBERATION— "is the root of all inability to cope with environment. Doubt causes negative emotions which reverberate and hamper all constructive thought. If a person learns and organizes knowledge in the right way — with perfect cross-reference — they need not experience doubt or hesitation."
(↑Tommy Hall, back cover of "The Psychedelic Sounds of The 13th Floor Elevators").
* Insert images:
* Simple internal links (Wiki-like), and cross-instance links:
* Hyperlinks-on-text, like this, or image
* Auto-generated Table of Contents:
* either on side, auto-hide or on top of document (depending on which theme you invoke)
* responsive (Portrait / Landscape modes)
* Collaborative theming:
(via pad-editable CSS files, for this page: 🔗E2H-css)
* Powerful text-to-graph capability (using a simplified Graphviz syntax)
* Transclusion (inclusion of pages, or their parts, by reference)
* Support for Pods:
* simple addressing of content on other instances (E2h, Mediawiki, ...)
* seamless mirroring of content (including offline!)
* Emoji support 😸🤠🦷🧜♀️🧶🧠
* Deploy to own web domains, with custom URL path logic
* SSL (with Let’s Encrypt)
* Optional analytics (with Matomo)
* totalism.org pod:
* ( this website )
* the old index: https://totalism.org
* systematics like 🔗alike, ...
* graphs like 🔗graph-index, ...
* also see 🔗puzzles, ...
* hosting files: here
* ... transforming pads from other Etherpad pods (and with custom styling):
* blue-narchy, via framapad.org
* *globalista*radio*kit*, via pads.ccc.de
* internal CHT instance:
CHT🔗CHT ( accessible only with the right routing keys )
Style without syntax: just use Etherpad's text styles
To style the text, just use the Etherpad styles:
Bold (Ctrl+B) , Italic (Ctrl+I), Underline (Ctrl+U).
(and combinations thereof)
(Bold+Underline together makes headers, 4 spaces indent.)
To insert... :
(Inspect syntax in Edit mode: [...])
* Images by URL, via upload, or from other Pods
width: "50%" or "300px".
Like "TEXT LABEL"
* Auto-generated Table of Contents
bold+underline text to create a heading
drop increments of 4 spaces for subheadings
helps a lot with content organisation!
* Internal links (Intralinks)
example: "🔗E2H" (for pad of same name)
* Cross-instance links (Cross-links)
* Adopt Styles from other pads ("-css")
a) "[style]" declaration:
(includes "padname-css" pad as a stylesheet)
b) with url parameter "CSSPAD":
* Image galleries (from Pods, or local storage)
(Example on 🔗trucko page.)
* Text-to-Graph (flowcharts, diagrams, networks, etc)
using the "[graph]" directive, parsed via own intermediate language, to Graphviz
(see 🔗oversee for an example)
* Include maps
Allows referring to Google MyMaps, a collaborative editor for public maps.
* use as: "[gmap:google_mid|label]"
* gives rendered link with .kmz and .gpx exports
* (with Mirrorable) makes automatic offline backups
* see on 🔗maps (the top list)!
* Include content via Date
as "[date:YYYY-MM-DD]" and then "[date++]"
This auto-includes related content (images, ...) from the archives, as subheadings.
Also useful as activity logs.
* Explanations on text (like this)
[extra:visible part|hovered part]:
* transclude any foreign page, via url
* partial transclusion (by section, via "query_part")
* File uploading
Upload files to your pod via a HTML uploader.
Simple & powerful Theming
1) Default style if not specified:
(or equivalent in your install)
2) Every site takes the "sitename-css" pad as CSS:
example: 🔗E2H takes 🔗E2H-css
(There is also a link to "Edit CSS" on the bottom of each site, by default.)
3) Via style imports inside the pad:
"[style:padname]" will adopt a stylesheet, defined in the "padname-css" pad.
4) Via URL in optional parameter:
Use the above .css file as the base for your theme.
If you want to just mess with the colors a bit, it's best to find+replace current colors (which are used several times inside the .css).
5) Set custom theme via pad:
Page Rendering (optional URL parameters)
* &STYLE to include CSS styling
* &BTN to include 'Edit pad' button at the bottom
* &BTNCSS to include "Edit CSS" buton
* &customcss=[path to .css file] specify own .css theme. See Theming above.
* &noAnchors to disable autoinserting anchors on underline+bold text
* &noTOC to disable TOC, even if inserted into page
* &DEBUG to enable DEBUG mode
* &CSSPAD=[padname] to, like with [style:...] directive, apply 'xxxxxx-css' to any doc
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
* specify content license
* "Edit pad" button position: top/bottom/side
* enable navigation in header (by specifying link to pad with a list of items)
(Some of these are documented in more details internally).
* Per-Instance configuration
Manage instance details (/__LOCAL_CONFIG)
Manage Pods (/__LOCAL_RELINKING)
* LAN-only autoconfiguration
(Host a Localnet instance with no Internet connection).
Useful for deployments on laptops as etherpad+E2H servers, retaining functioning links, ...
* Matomo open source analytics support
see https://matomo.org (ex "Piwik")
* Hypothes.is annotation support:
* either via URL addition:
add "&hypo" OR "&hypo&stick" (to continue browsing site in annotation mode)
* ... or by adding to any pad (to make annotation there by default):
* Linkroute: A way to refer to other Pods
Discovers and routes to content on local machine, physically accessible resources (external drives), and from other trusted nodes (in a distributed / P2P DNS way)
* Mirrorable: Offline regular backups
Uses E2T + cronjobs + DISTRO + git + git gui.
Stores: .txt and .html versions.
For self-hosted E2H for your small site, project or organisation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
E2H works with all modern Etherpad instances.
There are two ways to use it.
#1: Use the totalism.org deployment [Simplest!]
Use the totalism.org E2h proxy with your pad server.
A) use the current hosted deployment freely, after I whitelist your Etherpad instance
You can use the The E2h deployment on as long as they are whitelisted.
Contact me in this case, so I can whitelist your Etherpad service.
Also contact me if you are having problems using it with any specific pad, or need to whitelist a server.
For Etherpad-Lite instances
'link' = link to the Etherpad-lite pad url, only part after "http://"
For old Etherpad instances (Mozpad, TitanPad, ...)
link = domain only
pad = pad name
Add "&NONLITE" parameter.
To use it with your own Etherpad instance, but with the totalism.org E2H, it will need to be whitelisted. Send me a mail.
Contact if you're interested in the source code & setup instructions.
Some contribution to help support the development is expected.
Support the development
🔗donate, comission to set up your own custom instance, or join the 🔗coop.
Contact email@example.com .
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.