M A P S
Tactical living hack/theory/art points of interest in EU metropolae 2010-2020
< RFC >
20200705 merged !
Table of Contents
Places are mapped as DOCUMENT-GUIDES and GEO-MAPS.
Coming soon: an integration of both.
London UK Berlin DE Lanzarote-Canarias ESP Amsterdam NL Brussels BE Hamburg DE Paris FRA Ljubljana SLO Kranj SLO Helsinki FI Bologna IT Leipzig DE Rotterdam NL Vienna AT Prague CZ Salzburg AT Dublin IRE Madrid ESP Zagreb CRO
⌂ = Base location !
👽 = (stub)
⬜ = Visiting regular (at least yearly)
♦ = Visiting again as soon as possible
* London, UK (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ♦
* Berlin, Germany (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ⬜
* Lanzarote, Canary Islands (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ♦ ⬜ ⌂
* Amsterdam, The Netherlands (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT)
* Brussels, Belgium (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT)
* Hamburg, Germany (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ♦
* Paris, France (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT)
* Ljubljana, Slovenia (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ♦ ⬜
* Kranj, Slovenia (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ♦ ⬜
* Bologna, Italy (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ♦
* Helsinki, Finland (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT)
* Dublin, Ireland (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT)
* Madrid, Spain (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ♦
* Leipzig, Germany (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ⬜
* Rotterdam, The Netherlands (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ♦
* Vienna, Austria (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ♦
* Fuerteventura, Canary Islands (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ⬜ ⌂
* Antwerp, Belgium (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) ⬜ ⌂ ♦
__ __ __ __ __
* Prague, Czech Republic (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) *~2016 👽
* Salzburg, Austria (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) *~2016 👽
* Zagreb, Croatia (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) *~2018 ♦ 👽
* La Laguna, Tenerife, Canary Islands (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) *22-28 Nov 2017 👽
* Gent, Belgium (.kmz, .gpx, EDIT) *~Dec 18 2017 👽
( Using these maps )
* The legend (TYPOLOGY) is below.
* All maps are open editable!:
For this you need to be logged in with a Google account. A fake one will work fine.
* Exports are available in .kmz (~Google Earth) and .gpx (~OsmAnd for Android/iOS)
( TYPOLOGY )
a -> "A spaces". most relevant, best to hang out, centers of city activity
b -> "B spaces". also relevant.
x -> places that might be cool and need to be checked out
c -> culture (museums, galleries, ...)
n -> nature (like forests / hills) or nature-culture (like public parks)
p -> friends
uni -> university / institute
shop -> place to buy food or something else
eat -> supermarket / cheap place to eat
L / lib -> library with open access, a plug and internet
beach -> ...
music -> space to rock out
EV -> Escape Vector (airport, shuttle spot, hitch-hiking spot, marina, ...)
site / area / landmark-> noteworthy or recognizable spot
abandoned -> a place to squat ?
xxx -> party concert hall / club / pub / fun-house
thl -> "TRANS-HYPER-LOCAL" . obtain basic 🔗resources
fruit -> fruit trees (including time to collect)
Are you here? → email@example.com
Lisbon/PT, Valencia/ESP, Granada/ESP,
Torino/ITA, Bratislava/SK, Linz/AT,
Krakow/PL, Freiburg/DE, Groningen/NL,
Crete/GRE, Thessaloniki/GRE, Athens/GRE,
Gran Canaria/ESP, Tenerife/ESP,
__ __ __ __ __ __
MAGHREB !, Western Sahara,
Also → 🔗trails !
→ 🔗resources !
Find rides !
Federated search engines
* https://www.omio.com (formerly Go*Euro):
DB, PinkBus, BlablaBus, Flixbus, ...
* https://www.seat61.com/ :
"train search essential"
* https://www.thetrainline.com/ :
* https://www.happyrail.com :
good EU trains
* (SI) https://prevoz.org !!
* (looks like same interface, meta search):
* https://www.bessermitfahren.de/ :
The good/open one?
* https://www.fahrgemeinschaft.de/ :
(free, from ADAC ... not much results?)
* https://blablacar.de :
stupid, evil, but good search also doing proximity queries
* https://www.bessermitfahren.de :
* (EU) https://blablacar.com
* (CRO) ???
* (AT) ???
* (SRB) https://povezi.com
* http://hitchwiki.org/en !!
* http://gohitchhiking.tumblr.com/ (pretty pics)
Cheap bus companies
* http://www.flixbus.de (EU-wide)
you can find them through meta sites, but book direct (cheaper!)
* http://nomadwiki.org/en/Megabus (UK)
* http://goeuro.com (bus, train, and flight)
More & Unsorted
* https://wingly.com : share planes
* https://www.carpoolworld.com/ (carpooling = share regular rides ... nice UI)
<------------------------------ (new) TRAVEL INFO
"Cognitive mapping" (F.Jameson)
via "Navigating neoliberalism" article:
"This gets to the heart of what political theorist Fredric Jameson calls ‘cognitive mapping’. According to him, the left lacks cognitive mapping — the means to make our own world intelligible to ourselves through a situational understanding of our own position. Jameson draws upon the urban theorist Kevin Lynch, who argues (in his book, The Image of the City) that in designing urban spaces one must take into account how people navigate their way around cities. In encountering a new city, the individual is left without any cognitive map of the space and is forced to develop one through habit. As Lynch argues, the urban designer can assist this process by strategically situating landmarks and other easily recognisable symbols in order to provide the grounds for the development of a cognitive map."
Why Google Maps?
Because self-hosting OSM is still not simple to do properly, and there's so little time.
Want to help out? → firstname.lastname@example.org !
Also see 🔗todos ("Migrate maps to Open Street Maps").
API: KML backup, export & convert
Google Maps API -> totalism.org API -> Backup / Convert
Developed as "cht-maps-export" and part of the 🔗workflow.
* Track all changes on the maps with git.
* You can download KMLs for all of the maps, or use the .GPX versions offline with OsmAnd (or example).
EU Routes / Trails ideas
Trans-Europe transit ("A to B") in all directions, done by hitchhiking or car.
Normal easy hitching speed is ~300km per day (with exit and entry), so trails are organised to include stops with distances like that.
Contact to join exploring some of these trails → email@example.com .
* #MapJam by Shareable:
* How to do it : http://docs.google.com/document/d/1hcxLZowxaXpE8FFcrflB8NEeB2XPKDwATdOR0k7QIn8/edit
* MMM / Transformap:
* current status:
"a map without a map" ?!
the main site is useless ??
* useful directions directly from protagonists:
* http://wiki.transformaps.net/wiki/Special:BrowseData/Datasource !!!
* entry points
* main page
* "get in touch via our Discourse at http://discourse.transformap.co"
*** HOW TO MAP?
* go through key terms
* "centro de arte"
* makerspace, makers
* open source
* social center
* squat / occupied
* ecology & environmentalism
* "social experiments"
Ties to → 🔗pr !
* find key institutions !
Every territory will replicate these, and they will carry a comparable social function.
* Galleries, Museums (esp. with existing participative programs)
* Culture ministries
* Art, concert venues
* environmental organisations (WWF, ...)
* coworking spaces
* ask personal contacts
* nearby territories
* on social media
* find existing
* maps & overviews
* related events & conferences
( TODO )
* define foreign-language version of Key Terms (Spanish!!!)
Want to add a new map?
Edit directly ... [...] !
Or → firstname.lastname@example.org !
* "Why are trains in EU so expensive?"
* "How can we organize more mutual trips & exploration?"
Open Location Codes / "Plus codes"
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.