SYSTEMS OF REPRESENTATION
< RFC >
To be able to think and communicate current life-or-death topics has exceeded the descriptive reach of common language. A combination of capital-controlled manipulative media, a culture of self-interest with short-term arithmetic, advertising-powered capitalism, and yet still somewhat democratic control of politics, leads to unacceptable outcomes.
This is a open-to-add list of powerful representation systems, that might as such have power to inform & influence beliefs. Curated by @dcht00 and @chtotalism.
Table of Contents
middlemachine/David Potocnik, ~10.000 nodes, http://middlemachine.com (2011)
David Potocnik/Sara Vrbinc/Totalism Hackbase, For CHT 2011-2014, 🔗poster/🔗metrics.
(http://www.politifact.com, example Trump's Truth-O-Meter)
* NYTimes, example 2016 US Elections
* factcheck.org, example, give bite-sized TLDRs and longer groundings
* Google will reportedly launch truthness icons on search results
Totalism Hackbase, Graph of personal expenses, http://totalism.org
The American Time Use Survey is an ongoing program from the Bureau of Labor Statistics that asks thousands of people, what they did during the last 24 hours. See @.
* Ed Hawkins, Climate spirals (Global warming: Temperature + Time)
* Reproduced in Wolfram: http://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/859046
* Updates: http://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/spirals/
* Wipneus, Global Sea Ice Area (NSIDC data)
Subsets (Directed Venn Diagram)
Mark Lombardi’s World Finance Corporation and Associates, ca. 1970-84: Miami, Ajman, and Bogota-Caracas (Brigata 2506: Cuban Anti-Castro Bay of Pigs Veteran) 7th Version. Photo by John Berens, © Pierogi Gallery, Donald Lombardi
See @ for digitalized versions.
* narrative map/flow
* maps & cartography:
* psychogeography / drift
* curated tactical maps
* Hours of Daylight on the Summer Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere
( via http://twitter.com/Amazing_Maps/status/797899363477426176 )
* Deforming maps based on statistics:
( via: http://metrocosm.com/map-us-economy/ )
( tool: http://scapetoad.choros.ch/ )
* charts / dataviz
* 🔗dev-charts <--------- #tomerge
* theater and scenic arts
Ted Nelson!!! :
* capitalist economics
essentials to a possibility of such a system
* Stock pages:
(and, as Marko Pogačnik / OHO, "thing as itself / embodying itself" ... not as "representation", but "embodiement")
* Candlestick charts:
* Timezone ...:
* UTC if not noted otherwise ?
* (Would be great to see "most important" ticks noted - "Chinese wake up", etc)
* "Why don't opens and closes connect"
* Bloomberg Terminals
* videos (youtube, etc)
* population graphs : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqKg5rWLpEo (density, distribution, age structure, growth rate, mortality/fertility, demographic transitions, future prediction...)
* mystic-inspired objects
* film, visual poetics, ...
* technical drawing
* exploded views & technical manuals
* #architecture floor plans
* schematics in electronics
*** ( MORE )
( NEW + UNSORTED )
* Visual vocabulary:
data/relation type to appropriate visualization types
* gov statistics departments
* (#hypertheory #philosophy) A Map of Hegel's Science of Logic
* "The Philosopher’s Web," Influences Connecting Ancient & Modern Philosophers
* (#topology #compsci) Neural Network Zoo
With new neural network architectures popping up every now and then, it’s hard to keep track of them all. Knowing all the abbreviations being thrown around (DCIGN, BiLSTM, DCGAN, anyone?) can be a bit overwhelming at first.
So I decided to compose a cheat sheet containing many of those architectures. Most of these are neural networks, some are completely different beasts. Though all of these architectures are presented as novel and unique, when I drew the node structures… their underlying relations started to make more sense.
* Gallery of Concept Visualizations:
UPDATE 2020-10-29 : SEEMS DOWN?
STILL MENTIONED HERE:
* Visual intriduction to probability and statistics
* Graphs, maps, plots, ... of import/export by country
* Big Data+ML for social networks of the past:
@Time Machine Venice
* (large scale sat image auto-analysis → archaeology)
* Large-scale method to identify ancient human settlements and their connections with satellites
To sift through satellite images for those signatures, co-author Bjoern Menze, a research affiliate in computer science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, built on his skills from his day job identifying tumours in clinical images.
Menze trained software to detect the characteristic wavelengths of known anthrosols in images spanning 50 years of seasonal differences. This automation was key. “You could do this with the naked eye using Google Earth to look for sites, but this method takes the subjectivity out of it by defining spectral characteristics that bounce off of archaeological sites,” says Ur.
* "See the invisible" (magnetic fields)
* vikusviewer: "Explore cultural collections along time, texture and themes
* https://vikusviewer.fh-potsdam.de/ !!!
* (evolution of symbolic cognition)
I suspect you will greatly enjoy Pavlenko's book "The Bilingual Mind: and what it tells us about language and thought" http://hypotext.co/resources
"e.g. What makes human language more powerful than "the communications of chimps"? This table outlines the evolution of symbolic cognition, e.g. "mental time travel." The book then discusses the debate on how language development might influence cognitive development & vice versa" <
via https://twitter.com/hypotext/status/995118222834831360 :
via http://hypotext.co/ / Katherine Ye
* Distill ("dedicated to clear explanations of machine learning")
* Dynamicland: IRL computational medium
We are inventing a new computational
medium where people work together
with real objects in the real world, not
alone with virtual objects on screens.
Bret Victor / @worrydream
* (#scarcity) "These images have same pixels as number of members of the species"
* https://twitter.com/manojlds/status/1027921913765539840 :
These images have same pixels as number of members of the species.
Good job @WWF
show number of surviving members of species by pixels ...
(Effective display of 10^3-6 set cardinality)
* (#subflow) language to (en)code real-life behaviour
* https://github.com/jxe/ceml :
* time & space history of the squatting movement
SQEK / "movokeur" collaborative research map
* web corpus/mapping work: Diasporas Atlas
"Diasporas Atlas aim at mapping and analysing the occupation of the Web by diasporas""
* energetics: "The power switch: tracking Britain's record coal-free run"
* https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/may/25/the-power-switch-tracking-britains-record-coal-free-run :
Britain has set a new record for going without coal-powered energy, but how long will it last and when will we ditch the dirty fuel entirely?
* graphical notation for lambda calculus:
To Dissect a Mockingbird: A Graphical Notation for the Lambda Calculus with Animated Reduction
"Research and data to make progress against the world’s largest problems" !!!!
* Complex Network and Map of Western Thought → Emergence of the Transnational Managerial Class Ideology
Emergence of the Transnational Managerial Class Ideology
By Orsan Senalp
Tektology is a comprehensive methodology. Upgrading Dialectic and Historical Materialism of Marx and Engels, with Energetism of Mach and Ostwald, it was founded by Lenin’s most important challenger Alexander Bogdanov Malinowski, between the late 1890s and 1920s. It was developed as a radical critic of Taylor’s Scientific Management yet beyond that in order to look at the entire universe and all its properties from an ‘organizational’ and ‘class’ points of view; in order to discover and study common / general patterns and mechanisms in the emergence, transformation, evolution, and demise of all complex elements and systems forming human experience, and rebuilt it in an emancipatory way. Although it is recognized as the forerunner of the modern Cybernetics of Norbert Wiener, and the General Systems Theory of Ludwig von Bertalanffy, some claims that Tektology was going further then the two and foreseeing many later discoveries made in these latter fields, following the developments in the 20th century.
* loopy: a simple systems sim/game
part of explorables:
points to D.Meadows book:
a collection and co-position of a bunch of peculiar charts
offered without an explanation
* simpliying economic models
"This should be a (very slow) animated gif of a 17 year old model of the economy that I built to explain the circular economy.":
natural capital, financial capital, waste, by-products, consumption, production
<vinay.gupta originally a 2003 slide
* "A web version of the off-axis projection effect"
(nice quick demo)
* "Notational compendium" : history of notation systems
* global energy flow & greenhouse gas emissions
uses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankey_diagram (=flow rate!)
Fuel → Sector → gas
... updated !
Sector → end use → gas
The efficient use of energy: Tracing the global flow of energy from fuel to service
* a representation (media) thought as (outcome) domains and co-domains
* Cross-Comparison as Reality check
https://i.redd.it/0kvz7p5l1f131.png (cause of death VS media reporting)
ties to #postmedia !!!
* P2P Etnography
P2P Ethnography, can be defined as a qualitative research design aimed at exploring cultural phenomena. Different from Ethnography, its aim is not to produce field studies or case reports, but to establish continuously available, accessible, participatory, performative and collaborative processes which allow gaining understandings about the knowledge and the systems of meanings in the lives of a social group, and its interactions with other ones.
* Edward Tufte's "performative" dataviz
* printing graphs
<L> expo idea
* ... on transparent paper
so that the different steps / patterns / meaning layers can be added step by step
* See also this publication I made for an exhibitions:
* #polemics & argumentation maps
also, demand totalist #numerics !
* "SOS": Decision Making tool / syntax / graph network viewer
(2020/10: alpha version)
"SOS is a Decision Making tool, a syntax, a graph network viewer and an XML file format."
SOS is a tool for groups to establish Issues, explore the Causes and Effects of any Issue and debate on how to deal with these Issues. Group members can then make Proposals on which the Group can act, not just to deal with the symptoms (Effects) but to deal with the root Causes. Groups can also export a data file of explorations and discussions so that other groups dealing with similar or related Issues can learn from another's efforts. Later versions of SOS will have an import feature to combine Skeins.
a wealth of decision representation & making directions !!!
* antifascist space flight diagramming
* (SOURCE) wolfram alpha and blog
* Visualisation & investigation by Tactical Tech
* Share Lab:
http://twitter.com/ShareDataLab / http://labs.rs/en/
*** FUTURE WORK
* construct reading list, akin to 🔗commonground
* find associates → firstname.lastname@example.org
* linkroute <> representation.systems ?
* #comphermeneutics ?
* persuasion?, marketing?, propaganda?, [...]
* "attention economy"
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.