SYSTEMS OF REPRESENTATION
< RFC >
To be able to think and communicate current life-or-death topics has exceeded the descriptive reach of common language. A combination of capital-controlled manipulative media, a culture of self-interest with short-term arithmetic, advertising-powered capitalism, and yet still somewhat democratic control of politics, leads to unacceptable outcomes.
This is a open-to-add list of powerful representation systems, that might as such have power to inform & influence beliefs. Curated by @dcht00 and @chtotalism.
Table of Contents
middlemachine/David Potocnik, ~10.000 nodes, http://middlemachine.com
David Potocnik/Sara Vrbinc/Totalism Hackbase, For CHT 2011-2014, 🔗poster/🔗metrics.
(http://www.politifact.com, example Trump's Truth-O-Meter)
* NYTimes, example 2016 US Elections
* factcheck.org, example, give bite-sized TLDRs and longer groundings
* Google will reportedly launch truthness icons on search results
Totalism Hackbase, Graph of personal expenses, http://totalism.org
The American Time Use Survey is an ongoing program from the Bureau of Labor Statistics that asks thousands of people, what they did during the last 24 hours. See @.
* Ed Hawkins, Climate spirals (Global warming: Temperature + Time)
* Reproduced in Wolfram: http://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/859046
* Updates: http://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/spirals/
* Wipneus, Global Sea Ice Area (NSIDC data)
Subsets (Directed Venn Diagram)
Mark Lombardi’s World Finance Corporation and Associates, ca. 1970-84: Miami, Ajman, and Bogota-Caracas (Brigata 2506: Cuban Anti-Castro Bay of Pigs Veteran) 7th Version. Photo by John Berens, © Pierogi Gallery, Donald Lombardi
See @ for digitalized versions.
* videos (youtube, etc):
* population graphs : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqKg5rWLpEo (density, distribution, age structure, growth rate, mortality/fertility, demographic transitions, future prediction...)
* mystic-inspired objects:
* film, visual poetics, ...
* Visual vocabulary !!!:
data/relation type to appropriate visualization types
* wolfram alpha and blog
* gov statistics departments
* Visualisation & investigation by Tactical Tech http://twitter.com/seeingsideways
* A Map of Hegel's Science of Logic http://autio.github.io/projects/scienceoflogic/ #hypertheory #philosophy
* "The Philosopher’s Web," Influences Connecting Ancient & Modern Philosophers http://www.openculture.com/2017/10/the-philosophers-web.html
* Share Lab http://twitter.com/ShareDataLab / http://labs.rs/en/
* Neural Network Zoo http://www.asimovinstitute.org/neural-network-zoo/
* Gallery of Concept Visualization http://conceptviz.github.io/ !!!
* Visual intriduction to probability and statistics http://students.brown.edu/seeing-theory/index.html !!!
* Graphs, maps, plots, ... of import/export by country http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/visualize/network/hs92/export/usa/all/show/2016/ !!!
* Big Data+ML for social networks of the past @Time Machine Venice https://www.nature.com/news/the-time-machine-reconstructing-ancient-venice-s-social-networks-1.22147
* Large-scale method to identify ancient human settlements and their connections with satellites https://www.nature.com/news/satellites-expose-8-000-years-of-civilization-1.10257
* "See the invisible" (magnetic fields) http://wwimd.xyz/?p=5
* https://vikusviewer.fh-potsdam.de/ !!! :
"Explore cultural collections along time, texture and themes"
* https://twitter.com/hypotext/status/995118222834831360 :
"e.g. What makes human language more powerful than "the communications of chimps"? This table outlines the evolution of symbolic cognition, e.g. "mental time travel." The book then discusses the debate on how language development might influence cognitive development & vice versa" < http://hypotext.co/
* Distill is dedicated to clear explanations of machine learning :
* Bret Victor / @worrydream:
* https://dynamicland.org/ @oakland
* https://twitter.com/manojlds/status/1027921913765539840 :
show number of surviving members of species by pixels ...
(Effective display of 10^3-6 set cardinality)
* https://github.com/jxe/ceml :
language to code real-life behaviour
similar to #subflow <joe.edelman
* http://totalism.org:7777/glia2?input=glia-graph-pad&sinkFormat=graph/png :
heureka moment for 🔗glia-graph ;-)
glitch of creating pad with default etherpad welcome message :
"Pad is synchronised while you type..."
#TODO - stabilise to another pad name after v4
* https://notanatlas.org/maps/mapping-the-squatting-movement/ :
SQEK collaborative research map (with history - temporal dimension) of the squatting movement
* ""Diasporas Atlas aim at mapping and analysing the occupation of the Web by diasporas"" http://www.e-diasporas.fr/
* https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/may/25/the-power-switch-tracking-britains-record-coal-free-run :
some nice eco charts
* http://dkeenan.com/Lambda/ :
To Dissect a Mockingbird: A Graphical Notation for the Lambda Calculus with Animated Reduction
* https://ourworldindata.org/ :
"Research and data to make progress against the world’s largest problems" !!!!
* https://graphcommons.com/graphs/64d91469-5f7d-4dba-9204-c8574945948c :
Emergence of the Transnational Managerial Class Ideology
By Orsan Senalp
Tektology is a comprehensive methodology. Upgrading Dialectic and Historical Materialism of Marx and Engels, with Energetism of Mach and Ostwald, it was founded by Lenin’s most important challenger Alexander Bogdanov Malinowski, between the late 1890s and 1920s. It was developed as a radical critic of Taylor’s Scientific Management yet beyond that in order to look at the entire universe and all its properties from an ‘organizational’ and ‘class’ points of view; in order to discover and study common / general patterns and mechanisms in the emergence, transformation, evolution, and demise of all complex elements and systems forming human experience, and rebuilt it in an emancipatory way. Although it is recognized as the forerunner of the modern Cybernetics of Norbert Wiener, and the General Systems Theory of Ludwig von Bertalanffy, some claims that Tektology was going further then the two and foreseeing many later discoveries made in these latter fields, following the developments in the 20th century.
* loopy, a simple systems sim/game:
part of explorables:
points to D.Meadows book:
* a representation (media) thought as (outcome) domains and co-domains
* Essential to Capitalism:
* Stock pages:
(and, as Marko Pogačnik / OHO, "thing as itself / embodying itself" ... not as "representation", but "embodiement")
* Candlestick charts:
* Timezone ...:
* UTC if not noted otherwise ?
* (Would be great to see "most important" ticks noted - "Chinese wake up", etc)
* "Why don't opens and closes connect"
* Bloomberg Terminals
* Cross-Comparison as Reality check:
https://i.redd.it/0kvz7p5l1f131.png (cause of death VS media reporting)
ties to #postmedia !!!
* narrative map/flow
* maps & cartography:
* psychogeography / drift
* curated tactical maps
* Hours of Daylight on the Summer Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere
( via http://twitter.com/Amazing_Maps/status/797899363477426176 )
* Deforming maps based on statistics:
( via: http://metrocosm.com/map-us-economy/ )
( tool: http://scapetoad.choros.ch/ )
* charts / dataviz
* 🔗dev-charts <--------- #tomerge
* theater and scenic arts
* Ted Nelson's next-level hypermedia
* connectomes (neuro-maps)
* find associates
* construct reading list, akin to 🔗commonground
* linkroute <> representation.systems ?
* #comphermeneutics ?
* persuasion?, marketing?, propaganda?, [...]
* "attention economy"
* #polemics , and how to challenge, for example:
* http://twitter.com/humanprogress (super-capitalist)
* ... they're taking stuff out of focus?
* ... demand Totalist numerics!
P2P Ethnography, can be defined as a qualitative research design aimed at exploring cultural phenomena. Different from Ethnography, its aim is not to produce field studies or case reports, but to establish continuously available, accessible, participatory, performative and collaborative processes which allow gaining understandings about the knowledge and the systems of meanings in the lives of a social group, and its interactions with other ones.
Edward Tufte's data visualisations
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.