Coming to the base
< RFC >
* 🔗idiots-guide : Simplified version ;-)
* 🔗flocking : How to organize a subseason by yourself, instead of joining a planned one
Table of Contents
What to be prepared for & Some general guides
* Outdoors & camping weather:
* sometimes 14°c in the night, but not really less
* ... actually, if we are in the mountains again, nights got down to 8°c + possibly wet
* ... meaning, come useful will be:
1) not the worst sleeping bag (synthetics ~600-800g for ~50€ seem fine)
2) non-cotton warm night clothes (like synthetic leggings)
* strong winds often. (synthetic/mountain style) light windstoppers rock that stuff.
* bring a headlamp, with rechargeable batteries or by USB
* Setting plans during camps:
* the next subseason plan holds:
if you have suggestions about, or even problems with any part, act/discuss before the start of camp.
* always have something to do you can easily get to/from, when waiting: 
(example: a book you can just pull out and continue for 5 minutes)
* influence the plans actively
* long-lasting laptop battery recommended (bring spares, if possible)
* your stuff might fail - have spares & think it through
* be prepared to also use other computers and devices
You will cover personal costs (food, consumables, maintenance/repairs budget) & contribute to investment budget (expanding the project's infrastructure).
~ 15€/day | 450€/month
B) ENCOURAGED (if you have work):
~ 20€/day | 600€/month
C) MINIMUM (if you are broke):
~ 9€/day | 270€/month
This covers all basic life costs.
This does *not* cover personal extras (booze, cigarettes, idiosyncratic expensive food...), so if you want that, budget for it.
For new residents there is a 🔗membership.
If you want, see 🔗subfinance for much more detailed info.
Arrange travels and membership
* Add your availability:
under http://totalism.org/planning !
* Contribute to the subseason pad:
(ideas about activities, projects, ...)
* Can you accept postal packages at your home address?
Coordinate with CHT to see what you could buy and bring over.
(Especially if coming from DE & UK - cheap shops and shipping.)
* Get a flight/boat
* Fix your 🔗membership dues:
Pay in advance, OR immediately when you reach the base.
See 🔗donate for payment methods, ask email@example.com
Personal Preparation & Crew Survey
Thinking about these questions in advance turned out to be a good idea with previous residents.
* Create a Crew Survey pad: !
Do it here.
Name the pad like "subseason prefix-your name" like "cht7a-david".
The answers are not seen by anyone that does not have the link.
If you prefer however, you can also send the answers by email.
* Copy the questions from below to the pad !
1) Your focus?
1.1) Pick 5: Which projects from the already documented seem most interesting or you want to work on? !
1.2) Document 1 new project idea. 
1.3) What are your specific interests and expectations? 
2) Resident bio
2.1) What do you, or can you do? Link to a website or something like a CV if you have one. !
2.2) What would you like to learn at the base? 
2.3) Can you & do you want to drive cars? !
2.4) Flexible diet...? -or- any dietary decisions/preferences/allergies/necessities? ("non-omnivore"?) 
2.5) Flexible sleeping rhythm...? -or- strong personal sleeping habits / day flow expectations? ("morning person" or "night owl"?) 
2.6) Any health specifics or issues: allergies, recent injuries ("broken leg still not fully recovered..."), neurospecificity (dyslexia, ADHD, ...), chances of critical states (like: extreme allergies / anaphylactic shock, epilepsy, severe depression, ...), ... 
3) What is your budget to cover your costs & contribute to the base?: !
Stuff to take & Not to take
__________ BRING PERSONAL
(CHT has some reserves of this, sometimes ready to use. Ask in advance.)
MUST BRING: !
* Sleeping bag with 10-15°C comfort (8°C between Jan-April, if we will do mountains)
* Warm sleeping clothes (for winter season)
* Windstopper type jacket (except summer)
* Walking shoes
* Cash (ATMs can be hard to access)
* Two pairs of sun glasses - you will probably loose one pair ;-)
* Tiny towel - or you can also use a clean t-shirt !
PERSONAL NOT NECESSARY:
* Tents (have plenty)
__________ BRING FOR THE SPACE
WHAT CAN YOU BRING ...
* ... That you could leave here? !
* ... That you need to take back, but will be interesting or useful?
* Help with researching and buying stuff we need @ 🔗ordering 
* Bring your media collection (music, film, e-books) !
* Bring stickers and memorabilia
* Check if you can bring something from 🔗resources-ship :)
* Visit your local hackerspace and try finding equipment donations. (Maybe consult 🔗shipping about ways to transport.)
Prepare for Workflow
* See 🔗workflow:
* Backup your data!:
* Install basic apps (Laptop+GNU/Linux):
* Install basic apps (Mobile):
* OsmAnd (free software offline maps) !
* Telegram (group chat) 
* Join group chats:
* Prepare for navigation with maps:
* In OsmAnd mobile app:
Load "Canary Islands" map files !
* In 🔗maps:
Import "Lanzarote" .GPX markers to OsmAnd 
Explore Lanzarote map & marker types on 🔗maps 
Check out the other maps. If there is a map for your city, explore and upgrade it.
Read the basics ...
For conceptual + operational understanding.
* Organisational Pads
* Read the main site as a "manifesto" !
* Read current subseason pad !
* Review current projects !
* more: 🔗faq, 🔗stuff, 🔗flocking, 🔗season4, . . .
* Conceptuals / Manifesto
Read 🔗commonground. 
more: 🔗vocab, . . .
🔗alike, 🔗maps, 🔗calendar, 🔗non-shitty.
See full list on on https://totalism.org .
DURING THE SUBSEASON
ON ARRIVAL !
* Set time zone on all your devices !
* Connect to CHT's Wi-Fi network !
* Member yet? !
* Re-read the
GENERAL THINGS TO DO !
* Check current projects: 🔗projects !
* Take photographs and videos !
* Write new & overview existing documentation pads!
* Share your media collections !
* ACCESS INTERNAL FILESTORE
You will get access to this content in person, in camp.
* Create personal folder:
"0_[your name of choice]"
* Browse the data:
* /ALLPADS !!!!:
Offline Etherpad exports as .txt and .html
* /BOOKS !!!!!!!
Internal projects source code
* /Nomad Pack:
Maps, Local info, Etc (for EU)
CHT Photo and Media archive
* /Promo, Graphics:
Contains Visual documents, Presentations/Slides, Posters, etc
* Perform roles !
See 🔗roles !
* Regular roles (re)assignment
Review & understand roles.
Cycle performing roles & develop different competencies
* Develop new roles
Collect, document and optimize doing routine tasks.
* Sync data (especially photos!)
See 🔗media !
* Fix financials
* Calculate with Treasurer:
(-) Crew expenses you already covered (=bills in shops)
(+) Your minimum daily contributions (see above!)
(+) Extra donation for new investments at will
== Balance !
* Settle accounts:
AFTER THE SUBSEASON
* Send any remaining photo/video material !
Consult 🔗media !
* Write personal debrief 
Your report / reflections in the first 1-2 weeks after.
Write by mail, or on a pad.
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.