< DRAFT+ >
2016xxxx first versions
20200930 MO + slight corrections:
Needs full content overview to reflect Season 7 / Season 8 !!!
🔗hackbase-type2 - specific type of camp described here
🔗stuff - equipment list
🔗newcomers - what to prepare for?
🔗roles - division and responsible performing of work inside coliving situations
🔗why-how-what - what is CHT about, and how it accomplishes that
🔗landsites & 🔗land-attributes
🔗tech-tree - for an idea what is being reproduced in terms of infrastructure
Table of Contents
|2||*** CURRENT SITUATION AND CONTEXT|
|2.1||* History (2011-2014)|
|2.2||* 2014-2019 (but also now) !|
|2.4||* Pre-Flocking way of starting a subseason|
|3||*** PROTOCOL: FLOCKING|
|3.1||* BEFORE SUBSEASON|
|3.1.1||(Base downtime status)|
|3.1.2||Take initiative & set a date|
|3.1.3||Have a meeting|
|3.1.4||Write the pages|
|3.1.5||Assemble a budget & order gear|
|3.1.6||Do the PR|
|3.1.7||Figure out driving & logistics|
|3.1.8||Ping the gatekeepers|
|3.2||* DURING SUBSEASON|
|3.2.1||Access storage + unpack|
|3.2.2||( Q & A)|
|3.2.3||Run the base|
|3.3||* END OF SUBSEASON|
|3.4||* REPEAT !|
|4||*** TODOS & OPEN QUESTIONS|
|4.1||* Clearer storage: packing/unpacking procedures|
|4.2||* Decentralizing communication/organisation|
|4.3||!! go through subseason pages and find patterns|
|4.4||!! re-organize, re-read all 🔗roles documentation|
|4.5||!!! update/expand to other hackbase types|
|4.6||!!! consider other similar protocols|
|4.7||!! include more illustrations|
If CHT is currently running:
This document is only a consideration. Others have already done the work.
See 🔗next to check !
If CHT is not running, anyone can follow this protocol to start it. This is how.
Anyone can come over, and use the base's 🔗stuff by themselves, in an accessible way.
This is done in coordination with all other interested people.
It needs to be easy, predictable, reliable, survivable and even fun for anybody to initiate - not relying on any specific people.
In this sense:
CHT supersedes relliance on a community, and becomes pure infrastructure.
*** CURRENT SITUATION AND CONTEXT
* History (2011-2014)
🔗CHT1 was a 🔗hackbase-type1, a house, operating roughly between October and May. Anybody could come at that time, and it was easy to get going.
In the off-time, responsibility to take the house was rarely taken, and it was complicated for several reasons.
* 2014-2019 (but also now) !
* The project abandoned the house, developing a new model: 🔗hackbase-type2. Planning to buy rural land to settle on, as sketched on 🔗season4. To do this, we are in a transition period to experiment, define what we are looking for, and find the right plot. In this time, the hackbase means temporary camping on other people's lands.
* When the base is not set up, we have to coordinate on when to come there together again.
* Anybody can still come at any time, but it's a bit more complicated to set up a camp if nobody is there, than to just come to the house.
* This is what this document is about.
Actually, currently CHT is more focused on 🔗hackbase-type4 work.
The protocol should be kind of similar.
Ask on the group chats.
* Pre-Flocking way of starting a subseason
Centralised on a single person:
Interested people would send emails to email@example.com currently read by David (firstname.lastname@example.org). I intercept, answer questions and inform the interested in "when next camp might happen". I sync my own schedule to where there might be other people coming & announce a subseason. I contact the people that expressed interest earlier and try to get a few of them to come.
That's bad because one person must:
* to inform everybody, answer questions, etc
* to synchronize everybody and decide when a new subseason happens and announces it
* to actually be the first person there and know how to handle everything
* to be there even if nobody else comes
People always asked "when I'm there" and relied on that.
This must now be replaced by self-organised action.
*** PROTOCOL: FLOCKING
You want to come to the base and it's currently not set up.
* BEFORE SUBSEASON
(Base downtime status)
* Start position: there is nobody at the base
* All the 🔗stuff is packed in base storage
* People coordinate on the mailing list (🔗list / email@example.com) until:
A) they decide to set dates, or
B) somebody takes initiative and just goes there ("First mover")
* All the information and plans is edited by anyone at next.totalism.org, which points to the current open planning pad
* Do scheduling via 🔗planning
* Everyone involved is clear with 🔗newcomers
* The base has no own or set campground location:
The person starting the camp decides where to set camp, using 🔗landsites.
* This also involves a logistical element of moving everything for camp:
We have friends who could help with driving.
Using buses is also possible.
Take initiative & set a date
* Somebody ("First mover") takes initiative and decides to buy a flight:
* gets approved on the mailing list to access 🔗stuff and 🔗trucko van if needed
* coordinates with people on the island to pick up the things
* may get mandate to spend some donation € reserves, following 🔗season4 development goals
Have a meeting
Have a pre-project virtual meet up to go over the above and make sure everyone’s clear on what’s expected
Announce on the mailing list.
Write the pages
* Start subseason page (like, 🔗season4-B) + set topics
* Consult general season manifesto (like, 🔗season4)
Assemble a budget & order gear
Consult 🔗ordering together, and follow the protocols there.
About the budget:
* What is the total budget?
* Is anyone ready to pledge the money in advance?
* What to allocate it in advance for 🔗ordering?
* What are the priority projects?
Consult 🔗subfinance for more info on budgeting.
Do the PR
See 🔗pr#____New_season___Promoting__plus__Checklist !
Figure out driving & logistics
* Is anyone driving?
* Can anyone maintain / fix a car?
Also see 🔗trucko.
Ping the gatekeepers
Presently, some work can only be done by the gatekeepers.
Ping firstname.lastname@example.org to:
* move where http://next.totalism.org points to
* post the prepared materials to social media accounts
The subseason is now officially announced. ;-)
* DURING SUBSEASON
Access storage + unpack
* Contact email@example.com for access to storage / 🔗stuff:
* get contact and location of storage
* get access (either by key, or by someone opening)
* Make "status report": log and photos
* Prepare subset useful for planned base
* Other people come in and extend the camp
( Q & A)
(Somebody wrote these questions before starting 🔗season4-B):
* How to find / identify the campsite?:
If the campsite is already existing:
coordinate with people there via geolocation
it's up to you where to put it.
consider 🔗landsites and 🔗land-attributes.
* How to transport things between storage and campsite?:
We now have a van, see 🔗trucko.
Before we borrowed cars or asked friends to do it, from CHT🔗contacts
* What items have priority, in case of limited transport capability?:
Basic camping stuff like tents and sleeping bags.
Things in storage should be organised in a way that should make sense.
Currently working on more markings system.
This ties to 🔗vaults.
* Maybe there are non-obvious things to set up, that should be documented somewhere here?:
Maybe - this is a best effort.
Run the base
* Take up and divide 🔗roles
* Make sure everyone's onboard with 🔗newcomers and 🔗idiots-guide
* Report what's going on:
* to the mailing 🔗list
* to the Telegram chat group !
* Keep 🔗workflow
* Update the 🔗stuff with new & depreciated gear
* END OF SUBSEASON
* Announce in advance what's happening
* Pack stuff back to storage:
* proper weather protection and camouflage precautions !
* Take pictures of the packed-up camp.
* Write a report on the subseason pad.
* REPEAT !
*** TODOS & OPEN QUESTIONS
* Clearer storage: packing/unpacking procedures
Have a clearer way of packing stuff, per boxes, so packing/unpacking is easier to understand.
At the moment the stuff is packed semi-randomly so there's some crawling through.
* have enough boxes for everything:
(2020: pretty much covered)
* take pictures of & detail-document all gear
* measure approximate times needed to set up everything
* make sure you can't fuck up closing boxes on unpacking (so preventing storage/weather damage)
* Decentralizing communication/organisation
!! go through subseason pages and find patterns
!! re-organize, re-read all 🔗roles documentation
... and integrate here
!!! update/expand to other hackbase types
How about 🔗hackbase-type4, as current focus of CHT in 2020?
!!! consider other similar protocols
!! include more illustrations
but replace graphics with SVG/graphs ;)
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.