HACKING HOUSING: PAD
Urbanism Law vs New approaches in architecture and lifestyles
Knowledge base project
Hosted by @dcht00 / CHT Hackbase.
This is the project's open knowledge base - read the manifesto first: 🔗hacking-housing!
Also see 🔗alike for some interesting practising institutions.
Add new content anywhere (or at the end if unsure). --> [...]
(This is Wiki🔗Centro_Financiero_Confinanzas, an occupied unfinished skyscraper project in Venezuela.)
2018-08-28 (import to new system)
Table of Contents
*** BY LOCALITY
Spain + Canary Islands
* Guide to Building Construction in Spain -> http://spain.angloinfo.com/housing/buying-property/building-construction/
* cadastre (land / zoning) info: http://visor.grafcan.es/visorweb/
* https://www1.sedecatastro.gob.es/ :
#TODO - get identification !!!!!!
What to do if the Spanish police appears:
* Be polite, talk with them, explain everything and ask all the doubts about what is possible to do and what not.
* If they ask for identification, and you show it so that they note it, that may be a problem for you in the future.
If you don't have your ID at the place, they can drive you to find it or to the police station, but most probably they won't bother, which means end of the problem.
Only Spanish citizens that live in Spain must carry their ID always with them, as tourist you have the right to keep your ID in a safe place.
____________ 2018-12-03 notes
* check "Leyenda"
* click and you get specific info
* next to the layer, you have "double cirlce", where you can set Opacity !
* put stars on the map!
a) catastro + orto express 50%
b) mapa topografico integrado: shows more "legal houses" information ???
* AGRICULTURA, ...:
* Crop Map / Mapa de Cultivos:
* Abandono Prolongado
* Abandono Tunera \ Sin cultivos: "cactus that make fruits"
* Tunera \ Frutales (with picon)
* Corine Land Cover (1990-2000-2006):
THIS IS PERFECT !
Can show a historic process of land abandonment, for example as in 29,03381309|-13,68085468 !
Great for arguing #legal !
* Mapa de Vegetacion:
REAL = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matorral :
Fisionomía: MATORRALES | De sustitución | Comunidad nitrófila frutescente
Vegetación: Chenoleoideo tomentosae-Salsoletum vermiculatae variante con Launaea arborescens
Nombre Común: Matorral algoaera y matabrusca con ahulaga
* (MORE BLACK BUT ABANDONED)Ahulagar en lapillis. Comunidad deLaunaea arborescens == "Ulaga land"
* (ERODED, ABANDONED, GROWN-OVER DESERT) Tabaibal dulce semiárido. Odontospermo-Euphorbio balsamiferae sigmetum aeonietosum lancerottensis
* CARACTERIZATION DEL SUELO:
* DOC 1: METODOLOGY:
* 3.4.3. Técnica de cultivo: Abandono, Invernadero, Enarenado natural, Enarenado artificial, Jable, Gavia, Transformación, Otras técnicas.
* DOC 2: MAS INFORMACION DE CONSEJERA:
TODLL : .ZIP FILE - THERE IS "ESRI SHAPEFILE" [...]
* DOC 3: Publication en BOC (legal book = Boletin de Canarias):
* TODO: CHECK ALL THE LINKS !!!:
* https://opendata.sitcan.es/ WHAT IS HERE?
* http://www.gobiernodecanarias.org/istac/ = ISTAC (statistics institute)
* TODO: A lot of stuff is in .SHP (Shapefile) ...:
* How to open ??? Qgis??? #gis
* QGIS CAN DO IT :
* <-------------------- (now) >david
* Mapa de Ocupación de Suelo:
* SUELO DESNUDO \ Mineral
* URBANIZADO CONSTRUIDO:
Espacios libres \ Jardines (cactus garden)
______________ to check
* caracterization del suelo
* Is the "land type" (Crop Map) just a statistic, or does it have legal indication, or even consquence?
* How do you change the crop type? If you want to grow something that needs SHADING, can you just do it?
* Which crops are controlled here? Bamboo? Papaya? Marihuana? [...]
* "minimum size is ~20m"
* THE LAND OF GONZALO / RIKI:
* by @dcht00
* parts will start in Slovenian
* stub as of Jan 2016
* cht.lj (2012)
* full list of laws:
* ZGO-1 ("Law on Building Objects") + bylaws:
* @2 defines "Object" (fixed to ground, etc)
* "Decree amending the Regulation on classification of construction with regard to their complexity" !!!!!:
* zahteven / manj zahteven / nezahteven / enostaven
* enostaven "ni namenjen bivanju":
* kaj je razlika med "namenjenostjo"?
* kaj sankcionira to tukaj, če kaj?
* glej priloge, kjer so definicije teh objektov !!!!!
* (nothing else important)
* ZUreP-1 ("Spatial Management Act") + bylaws:
* @2 defines "Space"
* geodet plans, catastro
* drinking water regulations
* https://www.stat.si/KrajevnaImena/Settlements/ByRegion (+ sortiraj po št. prebivalcev + pregled po regijah + obrni vrstni red + 50)
This datasets could be used to develop a custom advanced tool for 🔗landsites !
* https://www.facebook.com/groups/371540219623206/ ("Let's squat an abandoned village")
* totalism.org active here, especially in Kranj, contact firstname.lastname@example.org !
* also see 🔗slo-zadruge (slovenia co-ops)
* types of land
* prices of land
* draft project
* climate stuff:
* which places in Slovenia have survivable winters
* how to survive the winters in other places (Primorska, etc)?
_______________ more in 2019
* there's an "island where you can build"
* the ResidenSEA is right next to the ocean in a peculiar anthropocene/legality situation
* tenant rights:
* eviction in 1 year? advanced notices?
* make modifications on the house + status of those?
Squatting was legalised in the '70s with heavy protests and a huge housing shortage, you could not be vacated from a place if it was undoubtedly empty (12 months) and you established domicile (lockable enclosure, table, chair and bed).
Since the financial crises following 2008, the conservative/liberal government has put every effort in promoting home ownership and preventing the housing bubble to burst. Putting heavy taxes and conditions on renting, while keeping mortgage interest tax deductable.
Blocking alternatives like stopping the financing of elderly homes so abruptly, most went under and were demolished. It also became illegal to rent too cheaply for your income, pushing living costs towards 1/2 and even 2/3s of a single income.
Squatting was banned in 2010, making it illegal to break and enter without the owner's permission.
Due to a loop hole some (shady) companies are now profiting from 'anti-squat'. Where this agency receives money from the owner for protecting against vandalism, while also receiving money from people guarding the place.
Therefore, there's no rent flowing from the tenant to the property owner and no legal protection can be claimed. Although it's illegal to register your official address on a place where there's no contract, there's an order forcing municipalities to accept domicile in these situations.
Municipalities can, however, claim administrative costs to companies acting in their jurisdiction, making this quite lucrative for local governments to keep this situation. The tenants usually have no rights to privacy, contacting the owner, living with pets, couples and certainly no kids.
Usually they have a 7 day notice when they need to vacate, no guarantee on another offer.
Almost all new building projects are upper class family homes, aiming at couples both having careers and sharing in mortgage.
Some notable projects are:
Taking the idea of a house boat a stretch further and creating full floating neighbourhoods. Most of the country has soft ground and a really high water level, Amsterdam is in fact floating about 20 mtrs above firm ground with only a thin floating layer on top. All houses in that area stand on top of poles because they would sink on the regular land. Draining such an area would lead to considerable problems with the settling of the ground, on a large scale it will also allow salt sea water to creep up through underground layers destroying arable land. This, combined with climate change's rising sea levels and increasing draughts has also led to the construction of floating green houses. Having these on an impermeable layer with some dikes around them allows them to store excess rain water in a basin beneath them protected from the sun to be used in dry periods.
PS. It is forbidden to sleep in the whole of The Netherlands. You're only allowed to sleep within a private property that has a license to be inhabited. When sleeping somewhere else like streets, public transport, forests or your own back yard, police will usually wake you and are allowed to fine you. Tents are considered building structures and will need building permits (special permits exist for less than 6 weeks). Next to that, fire is also forbidden in the whole of the country. With cooking stoves, candles, chimneys and combustion engines usually not banned, they're not allowed either. Some places already have started to enforce the ban for wood fires.
About squatting, etc:
* difference: residential vs corporate building
* ask @dcht00
* "there are no, 0, true squats in Berlin [...] all are legalised"
* "...but there is Kopi..."
* there are a number of housing projects, like in Bethanien park (newyorck, etc)
* Berliner Linie law !:
Norway, Sweden: "Right to roam"
Apparently you can free camp in some Scandinavian countries!
* "The Right to Access"
* "Freedom to roam"
* "Everyman's right"
*** BY TYPOLOGY
BASES / HACKBASES TYPES
1: Liquid shared rented/owned house
2: Nomadic / Permanently Temporary camps
See 🔗hackbase-type2 and 🔗base-eu !
3: Subterranean Rural Base
See 🔗hackbase-type3 !
4: Harbours Mobility Concept
* 🔗hackbase-type4 !
* https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Instantcity (BE)
5: Squatting / Occupation / Re-appropriation
See "squatting" below.
Specifically deals with hacker approaches to:
* scouting, evaluation, decision models
* augmented security
* https://squatting-manual.squat.net/ !!
* https://sqek.squat.net/ (and the books)
* (UK) http://squatting-manual.squat.net/manuals-sorted-per-country/uk/squatters-handbook/
Pure Nomadism / "Permanently Temporary"
* "Terra Nulius" (latin) Terra Nova (seafaring, "Newfoundland")
* potentially legally still referenceable
* "permanently temporary"
Camper vans ("RVs"), "Harbours", #vanlife
See 🔗trucko !
In 2018, there is a new concept of "Harbours", see for example:
River canal boats / barges
Camping on top of buildings
Free / Wild camping
* 🔗season4 (totalism.org).
* http://github.com/patcon/container-city/wiki/Notes !
Geodesic domes & Hexayurts
120 pounds free shipping ... doesn't look bad ?
build with 2x1 panels & heavy duty duct-tape
tested a lot at burning man, etc!
* unbuild / build https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW-FRx1Pq2I
Materials used in traditional Mongolia:
* wooden circular frame
* felt cover (wool)
Materials used in modern version:
* steam-bent wooden framing or metal framing
* canvas or tarpaulin
* Plexiglas dome
* wire rope
* or radiant insulation
No one has yet created a structure on the high seas that has been recognized as a sovereign state. Proposed structures have included modified cruise ships, refitted oil platforms, decommissioned anti-aircraft platforms, and custom-built floating islands. ... Criticisms have been leveled at both the practicality and desirability of seasteading.
[...] these projects could be considered a realization of the avant-garde Walking City concept from 1964, by British architect Ron Herron of the group Archigram. The Freedom Ship also served as the inspiration for (and is closely resembled by) the Libertania, a mobile ship depicted in Grant Morrison's comic book The Filth. In the 1950s, Buckminster Fuller also proposed "floating cities" approximately a mile wide that could accommodate up to 50,000 permanent inhabitants. Mike Wallace interviewed Buckminster Fuller on TV regarding this "floating cities" concept, which Fuller explained would free up land needed for agriculture and industrial uses.
A key advantage of seasteads is what Friedman calls “dynamic geography,” the fact that any given seasteading unit is free to join or leave larger units within seasteading communities. Seasteading platforms would likely band together to provide common services like police protection, but with the key difference that any platform that was dissatisfied with the value it was receiving from such jurisdictions could leave them at any time. [Friedman] argues that this would “move power downward,” giving smaller units within society greater leverage to ensure the interests of their members are being served.
(also discusses some problems)
"the power of inflatable art"
The Italians (2020)
Keep following :)
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Atlantis : project in 3 phases (1968-1973)
Ephemerisle is a floating celebration of community, learning, art and seasteading.
We construct a floating city on the Sacramento River Delta and live on it for five days. Ephemerisle has elements of Burning Man in the early 1990s: a new adventure into an alien environment, with discoveries, adventures, and mishaps along the way.
There are no tickets, no central organizers, and no rangers to keep you safe.
DIY House Plans
* hexayurts (see more above)
*** PEOPLE AND INSTITUTIONS
Please add yourself or people you know here.
Facebook group: Hackbase Architecture Group
* David Potocnik (@dcht00) : started this doc, architecture theory/software (email@example.com)
* Tim McCormick :
* Eric Hunting : http://wiki.p2pfoundation.net/Eric_Hunting
* Miloš Kosec : http://architectuul.com/architect/milos-kosec
* http://twitter.com/KompaLaw : lawyer
* SQEK: 🔗sqek-index
* [...] <
* publish 🔗chtlj !!!
* merge in David's docs (#hackingh , ...)
How to collect this research?
* see 🔗E2H !
* option: host on sharewiki ?
* maybe federated wiki http://fed.wiki.org/view/welcome-visitors ?
Next for format
* v1: separate Manifesto and Pad <--------- (now)
* v2: restructure / merge both "Hacking housing" docs
* v3: region + typology table / matrix!
* 🔗land-attributes (stub!)
* 🔗season4 <--- application of these principles to the CHT Hackbase
/ / / / / / / / /
/ / / / / / / / /
/ / / / / / / / /
/ / / / / / / / /
/ / / / / / / / /
/ / / / / / / / /
*** COMMENTS AND IDEAS
Write your own comments, ideas, etc : ---> [...] <---
[great idea, love this. Just checking & thumbs up, more later. -Tim McCormick Twitter @tmccormick tjm.org ]
Yes this is interesting.UK wise there are possible options for expanding a houshold within the curtailage of a house. Residential development in the open countryside if there is an 'essential need' as part of a agricultural/forestry livelihood.Radical Routes have been effectively hacking housing co-op finance and regulations for years. twitter @dazinism
Also see http://beingsomewhere.net/ Simon and Jasmine are doing some great work. Experimenting with building using materials found on site or recycled as much as possible. Also addressing beuracracy.
After some explorations in France and Spain, #Portugal seems to me the best bet. Central Portugal. See http://earth-neighbours.com. Much less red tape, many UK people came here for early retirement and sustainable living. Internet coverage on rural hilltop fast enough for basic stuff for 40/month, but if you're lucky there are even ruins with a telephone line. I like the coming together of hacker/sustainability cultures. I'm everywhere @kamiel79
The problem is the weather, so I'm betting on Canary Islands. The slight but substantial difference in low temperatures, esp in winters:
Lanzarote: normal winter night low 16°C, cold of 13°C
Coimbra, central Portugal: normal nights <10°C, low around 0°C
(I picked Coimbra, open to change to other reference Central Portugal place). The difference between 15 and 5 degrees is, in the first you can camp and won't get sick if you pass out on the porch, in the second you can't camp, and will get a winter cough.
Land prices in Lanza are 3-5€/square meter for farming land. I think the connectivity is not much worse - cheap flights. @dcht00
Random #Polish link - New legislation - no need for building permits under certain conditions. (use Google translate) Twitter @stefek99
One more, this time from wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micha%C5%82_Drzyma%C5%82a - "He is a Polish folk hero because, after he was denied permission to build a house on his own land (only because he was Polish) by the Prussian authorities in the village of Kaisertreu, he bought a circus wagon and turned it into his home. At the time, Prussian law considered any dwelling a house if it remained stationary for more than 24 hours. Drzymała use the mobility of the wagon to exploit the law and to avoid the negative consequences by moving the wagon each day and thus preventing the Prussians the ability to penalize him."
[ Truly awesome concept, I am in Twitter @mspanc ]
(encountered on jvea.org conf 2015-07)
Encountered July 2015 on jvea.org "conference" ...
1) MAKING ROOM - CULTURAL PRODUCTION IN OCCUPIED SPACES:
compiled by Alan Smart
.PDF can be had - watch this space
http://sqek.squat.net/ ("squatting everywhere research kollektive")
Amsterdam squat + hacking
"Where are they now?"
The ideas are great but not everyone wants to go into the countryside & loneliness, even if with a few other like-minded people.
Many people want to enjoy different cities and their inspiring spirit
So how about populating flat roofs in big cities as summer camps?
Tents or other structures on the roof can be connected to the infrastructures in the flats below, where friends (and the owner of the house) allow to use the toilet, electricity, WLAN, etc.
Some flat roofs can have damage from people who are walking on it, therefore the owner has to be asked before, as he has to come up for the renovation costs.
Also people who are drunk or do not see in the dark can fall down from the roof, so some fence, etc. would be of benefit.
Check "law for the commons"
* https://www.iconbuild.com/ :
* they don't look realy 3d-printed, think windows, etc
* ... so, DEFINE 3D-PRINTED ! ... define by labour intensity ... #automation
* ... also and mostly, define by MATERIALS, HABITAT PROPERTIES, ...
Hemp concrete / "hempcrete"
Chattel house (Barbados)
movable house, associated with Barbados
Tiny House Villages
Emerald Village Eugene (EVE) is an affordable tiny home community developed by SquareOne Villages.
It builds upon the success of Opportunity Village Eugene, which is a transitional micro-housing community for otherwise homeless individuals and couples. This next iteration of our village model provides a permanent, accessible and sustainable place to transition to.
Rethinking public lands
* ... as common lands?
* any successful campaigns that changed the rules?
* any ready-made rulesets?
* any national, supernational ally organizations?
* re-indigenous? neo-indigenous/trans-indigenous initiatives?
* establishing "free land" anywhere in the world?
there's a lot of public land almost everywhere
found via slovenian moneylab (2020)
"""We are a group of architects, researchers, and educators, who develop solutions for spatial problems; hacking economic, technological and political infrastructures to shape the future city.""" <--- has this, link to social media (quite active and popular, reposting pretty things) and ... nothing more? where are the solutions, the hacks?
looks like liberal mutualism
via http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/introducing-the-commoners-of-the-european-commons-assembly-madrid/2017/10/23 :
* MINISTRY OF SPACE @Belgrade:
Iva Cukic: Ministry of Space (Ministarstvo prostora) is a collective from Belgrade which was founded in 2011 with the aim of reflection on the future of cities. Their joint work was initially focused on the formal creation and defense of public and common space, using the DIY philosophy. This is a further incentive to the study of different approaches to urban development, cultural practices and interventions in cities, through a series of actions, exhibitions, workshops and public discussions.
#lol #detournment #squatting @SLO
@UK #camping #legal
"Freedom camping club are a fully certified exempted organisation and have legal powers to licence any piece of land deemed suitable for camping and caravanning to operate as a campsite. You don't need to apply for planning permission or a licence from your local authority and its a great way to get a small campsite running in areas where planning approval would not normally be given."
a bit like #CLT ?
Tiny house and Green house #live-in #research #textilefarming
PhD research from Svenja Keune https://www.instagram.com/textilefarming/
Fabship as " Off-grid maker spaces for a better world"
derived from https://www.earthshipglobal.com/
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.