< RFC >
20191021 david overview
Table of Contents
* CO2 emissions
Also see 🔗climate !
* fossil fuel heating
"""Last month, 4x4s, or SUVs, became the most popular newly registered car type in Germany for the first time, with a market share of 22.2%. More than 1m sports utility vehicles are expected to be registered in Germany by the end of the year, with the average driver aged between 46 and 65."""
also non-human sources:
* volcano eruptions
* methane, via thawing ...
* Loss of biodiveristy due to habitat depletion
* MBBF (Multi Bread Basket Failure)
Part of 🔗season6-C research ...
* Animal farming
Also see XXX🔗farming and 🔗vegan !
* Coral Reef bleaching
* Palm oil
* Almost everything contains it. It would be incredibly difficult to evade it.
* Why is it cheaper than the replacement? Only because it comes from the third world, and first-use soil [from destroyed habitats]?
* Dangers to habitats and endangered species, notably orangutans
* Extraction of wildlife in primary forests: bushmeat, pelts, ivory, etc
"""Bushmeat has long been a traditional source of food for many rural people, but as roads have been driven into remote areas, large-scale commercial hunting is leaving forests and other habitats devoid of wildlife. """
Macdonald said: “You have got to distinguish between those people who have no choice but to eat bushmeat, and what is to be done for them, and people now living in towns who have a nostalgic memory for the time when they lived on bushmeat, but no longer need to, so it is a luxury.
* Toxic Pollution
* chemical waste
* nuclear waste
* oil spills
* Losing control of Technology
Biological, Chemical, Nuclear, ...
* runaway experiments
* lost control of weaponry
* Invasive species (plants, animals, ...)
An invasive species is a species that is not native to a specific location (an introduced species), and that has a tendency to spread to a degree believed to cause damage to the environment, human economy or human health.
= Need to be environment-destabilizing
List for Slovenia, via an article in a Kranj magazine):
miscanthus sinensis (deco bog grass)
solidago canadensis (yellow weeds)
erigeron annuus (daisy like weeds)
impatiens glandulifera (purple near-water, exploding seed pods!)
aronia melanocarpa (edible but "astringent" tasting fruits) aka Black chokeberry
lycium barbarum .... goji berries? really?
Paulownia tomentosa .... a tree
Also look at general topics !!!:
* "invasive topologies / #molecules" : when species pair together:
* capitalism + ambrosia (helps make surrounding areas to new development, also open up to development, as it turns them to shit)
* rabbits + cats @lanzarote (rabbits have no predators, then cats step to profit, who are also invasive, killing birds)
* good cases:
* invasive plants as a generator of biomass for land regeneration
ie. talks on "Food Forest project" from https://www.facebook.com/thesouthernlightsproject/
* use of bamboo (non tracing root type) as a case for Lanza...
* Heatwaves & Widlfires
* environment collapse
* human suffering
* food spoilage !!:
(david "salad" case)
* increased water use
* increased electricity use (AC cooling)
* Plastic packaging
Recycling is not enough !
However, for example:
("Plastic packaging ban 'could harm environment'")
* Systemic microplastics (in environment, food chains, etc)
* Plant diseases (and new spread vectors)
Like https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/09/deadly-olive-tree-disease-spreads-france :
"It advised members of the public not to bring any plants back from certain infected areas of the EU and elsewhere “unless accompanied by a phytosanitary or plant passport”."
* Antibiotics & Antibiotic-resistent Bacteria
This could definitely lead to a dystopia :-/
* Ice / glacier melting
* where is all the ice
* is it melting, or not? conflicting info from NASA
* also see 🔗climate !
3rd one ... 15% ... 1/4 melted since 1980
"arctic melt in overdrive"
* Light pollution
Interfering with insects:
* Human "travel for fun"
Massive Attack & reconsideration of touring
* Changes in Ocean composition
* losing oxygen
* Polinators: Bees & Colony Collapse
Almond milk industry & using bees in an industrial capacity.
* Human Overpopulation -> Resource Exhaustion
* #unciv (mailing list) / #deciv
* Dumbass Megaprojects
* Bureocratic Rigidity
* Colonialism & Biotope collapse
<----------------------------------- (new) BAD above
* nuclear energy
See 🔗nuclear !
Nuclear seems to be an essential transitional technology.
Existing nuclear plants should not be taken out.
*** PERSONAL STRATEGIES
The personal is political ?
Different understandings ...
... as consumer
(-) individual consumer choices
Sure, "green capitalism" and "prosumers" ...
(+) finding, curating appropriate goods
Product & service replacements!
See 🔗lim0 !
... as citizen
See 🔗struggling !
(+) pushing pressure for legislation
... (more !!!)
*** GOOD: STRATEGIC
* carbon sequestration
photosynthesis : as strategy in agriculture: use the existng infrastructure
* rewilding / "ecopoesis" / tree planting / environment restoration / etc
* "reversing desertification"
* Uncivilisation Manifesto by Dark Mountain Project, 2010:
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilisation. — Ralph Waldo Emerson"
"‘Few men realise,’ wrote Joseph Conrad in 1896, ‘that their life, the very essence of their character, their capabilities and their audacities, are only the expression of their belief in the safety of their surroundings.’
"The myth of progress is founded on the myth of nature. The first tells us that we are destined for greatness; the second tells us that greatness is cost-free. Each is intimately bound up with the other.(...)The very fact that we have a word for ‘nature’ is evidence that we do not regard ourselves as part of it. "
"nobody, in an age of ‘consumer choice’, wanted to be told by this stone-faced prophet of the California cliffs that "‘it is good for man … To know that his needs and nature are no more changed in fact in ten thousand years than the beaks of eagles.’
* Nomad Trees
(2019-10) a newly-created collective in Greece of local permaculture actors
* "ecopoesis" in Mars Trilogy (Kim Stanley Robinson)
Contra / However:
* get reliable #numerics, and visualize / represent
see 🔗numerics, and 🔗representation.systems !
* prioretize the struggles
* knowledge commons ...
* forge more than alliances ... consolidate struggles
* recycling / upcycling
* transparency is important !:
"I heard they all just put it on the same pile" and other myths
* acknowledge limit to recycling
(and limit liberal good feels)
* build and represent integrated systems !
* solar panels (and difficulty thereof) !
* regenerative industries & farming
* co-habitation with wild animals
High number of Wolves & Bears
Exporting to other countries (France)
2019 a controversial year (emergency decretes mandating hunters to lower population)
* renaturing seems to happen quickly ?!
<----------------------------------- (new) STRATEGIC
* see 🔗XR
* the story : https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/the-emergency/
* Youth for climate (thursday strikes etc)
* sea shepherd
* Eko Krog
* OXFAM ?
* UN: UNESCO
* UN: FAO?
* UN: ...
* UN Climate Summit, 2019-09-23, NY, an 18 month plan, see
* [...] !!!
* 2020-deadline; an 18 month plan
"" ecocentrism, sufficiency, and embeddedness ""
(-) Apocalyptic sentiment ?
See XXX🔗doomsday 1
(?) horseshoe crab prospecting
Degrowth vs Post-growth
Both need to happen.
* Degrowth - in a sense of really contracting the economy - producing and consuming less. Making products last longer. More DIY - especially growing food, ecopoesis. Distributing things non-economically(?), (gift economy = not really an economy?), etc.
* Postgrowth - the metric, and catering to it needs to be abandoned.
(+) pre-civ Japan, "food forests", etc
link to Daniel Niles's book !
(+) orcas destroying boats, Spain making part of sea no-go
BYSSUS - sea slik, made from mollusks
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.