Totalism Co-op: What we do < PRE-DRAFT+ > Project index → . 🔗coop-index Revisions: 2017-03-22 2017-06-13 2020-05-03 moveover 2020-06-03 touch Last updated: 2020-07-20
Brief introduction The Totalism Co-op is a general labour association, operating since 2016. We specialize in information technology, organizational processes, applied research, and consulting. Cooperations are established on top of common-goals alignment. Thus, they can be better for both parties - affordable, rapid, exciting, cheerful. This in turn changes the labour's accessibility, and inclusivity. The broader Co-op's manifesto can be found here: →
Information Technologies ( BRIEF ) ### possibly remove brief all together, use TOC for this General software and Information Technology research, development and deployment. * full-solution specification * open-source software deployment ### could include list * development + support:
also see →
🔗dev-index * openhardware research and "free industry" production: also see → 🔗openhardware * affordable hardware:
🔗laptop * develop for bounties * research, systematic and overviews * teaching and workshops:
🔗teaching * GNU+Linux system administration, dev-ops and hosting infrastructure ->>> #servercoop Other technology: * events support (audio, video, network, workflow)
* Quick transform dive [onsite, 2w/100h] Every contemporary organisation, or individual, can benefit from improving their organisational processes, connected to the way they handle data. Tproduction, collaborationauthoring, collaborating, data, search & information retrieval, conceptual models, representation, machine learning, etc. In 2 weeks... :
* We figure out the main organisational and technical problems, and fully document them
* Quick Fix:
We rapidly document, specify, develop and deploy a solution to a painful problem
* We re-align and re-sketch the internal research & development into an agreed, innovative direction
* We concord a longer term smart data strategy
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Example outcomes #1 (Belgian software/media company):
* fixed a broken Solr search engine instance
* rethought their database model (conceptual clearing for future proofing, performance improvements)
* made plans for graph database and "extended use of data"
* made foundation for reinforced learning on example that influence search weights
* made foundation for statistical test infrastructure
* written up single page executive report for future tech (can be used when looking for VC)
#2 (UK open hardware project): * base structure and vision-setting for this "zero stage" ( ) startup 🔗non-shitty * for results, see
XXX 🔗voxelcraft ###RECOVER !!! * Consult / outsource research [offsite, 4w/50h]
* Initial brainstorming
* Compile white papers / green papers / executive reports
* Hold regular consulatory briefing
* Prototype coding / development
* Overview: Groupware (collaboration software & processes) [50h + 100h/Y] Work effort:
* 15h talk + preparation + investigate
* 15h setup
* 15h overview + fixes
(Not unlike #lovely.tools project.)
* Hosting + system administration for small collaborative groups [20h + 100h/Y] Use GNU+Linux. Especially as the only administrator. Includes:
* initial setup
* regular maintenance
* support + educating
* select hardware and responsible/reliable shops/isp services
* 5h talk + preparation
* 16h setup
* 8h initial education
* 8h support requests
* Software deployment and integration
* own software → ### 🔗coop-assets → ### 🔗dev-index * other FLOSS software (especially with existing know-how or priority to learn)
* Replacing proprietary software With FLOSS alternatives.
* teaching and coaching
* custom directioned development
* Development projects * directioned existing product improvement Typically:
* software development on top of products we already use
* ... especially FLOSS
* custom development ("services", "R&D", etc) In:
software, design, ...
* micro-projects, <10h
* mini-projects, <50h
* larger projects, ~500h:
always broken down in 100h planned deliverables
* participating in a creative project ("R&D")
* with other groups:
take care to transfer responsibility to wider community later
* art projects:
usually as a part of a group, that is coordinated under a grant
usually also includes (re)deployments, presentations, etc
Teaching and educating We teach on a wide-variety of topics. For topics and more details, see
. 🔗teaching * Workshops (for groups, public) Typically high-intensity, customized units, including 2-10 people. #Topics: (could be auto-generated from THOUGHTSPACE)! #TODO
* Mentoring young people (in schools, etc) We connect with existing institutions, and help coordinate their existing audiences.
* beginner programing course (python, Scratch, or equivialent)
* Simple hardware projects (eg arduino, raspberry)
* Navigating the internet effectively
Includes: * available on site regulary (once a week, 2h, all year)
* Individual mentorship We mentor and individually consult on a wide-variety of technical and organisational topics. Either in-person, or online. For topics and more details, see
. 🔗teaching Re-Sales & Supply chain ops Also see → . 🔗lim0 * pique goods specification * run trials on alternatives * consulting on & setting up ethical and effective supply chains * direct re-sales of specific base goods
see / 🔗ordering / 🔗lim0 🔗resources
*** NEW WORK (2020) * process steward & documentation editor-for-hire Collaborative projects struggle to capture, organize and upkeep their document systems and collections. Workflow are incomplete, inconsistent, and not upkept. Editor-for-hire position ensures a regular overview with an set of internal editors-in-training:
* giving them guidance that they can adopt and pass-on to the team
* pushing for adoption of standard processes:
* ... from the basic onboarding, archiving, meeting agenda setting,
* ... to more advanced & custom
* resolves problems with document duplicates, mergers, etc
* upkeeps styles and document hierarchies
* keeps work processes clean
[...] References from a number of associations, companies & collectives available.
* art-on-demand Cross-media, speculative, and wide range of fine arts.
* art project support Technical and conceptual support * Quommoning (with Željko Blaće), 2019 * canal boat schematic, with ooooo.be * CCQO ?
* high-tech camping workshops & outings
* own software products:
* online deployment
* sales & support
* teaching, workshops
* cybernetic farming set-ups
* partnering on grants * semantic web positioning & compliance https://lod-cloud.net
* consulting & data consulting * applied data science <------------------------------------- (new) NEW WORK
*** PAD TOMERGE -- "For more, also see..."
Coop finds and coordinates"
* other segments from
* tons of stuff written under #meaningful, #databyro, #coop (david)
* bits on
ALIKE / USE AS REFERENCE
(via +substack) !
"what we do":
* "product definition"
* "Quality Assurance, Reliability, Compliance and Certification"
LABOUR BY TYPE
!!!!!! MERGE By Location * in-house / on-site
Work at the institution.
* remote 1 : collaborative work (individual contact)
Have an individual to communicate.
* remote group : project work (several developers)
This is how companies usually lead work.
Preferred way - always work doubled or tripled down:
* can be a learning experience (especially for part of group set)
* increased reliability, quality (because reviews)
* anonymous work:
* only from employer: does not employ you directly, might not know who you are!
* from all: specific payment paths/options!
Domain knowledge expertise primary:
* information technology:
* software design
* groupware, collaborative software
* FLOSS / open innovation
* semantic web
* philosophy, theory, humanities, scientific research
* conferences and events
* outdoor, camping
* journalism, investigative journalism
* publishing, media, hypermedia
* cooperatives, new productive models, peer to peer
* systems thinking
* Canary Islands
* music, studio, composition
* dietetics / nutriology, nootropics
* project management
!!!!!! find & merge last pre-crash version
( this is not it ! ) ### : pull labour, other fin means goes out or, rethink docu ...
(+) would make sense as a biz plan
(-) not as an offer/presentation docu
make it a one-doc
transclude, or summarize
advertising in public space
esp for 1 on 1 mentoring
OUT: "PULL" LABOUR ### this needs to go to an internal docu
### however, grants and partnering in grants must be here, rewritten * Applying to grants For:
* our open code work
* model work!
* improvements of existing projects
* Applying to contests / bounties / freelance work Like:
* bug bounties
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
+ can do it when there's no other work
+ quick turnaround?
- jury receives work from everyone, then decides winner:
maybe get zero compensation
they might steal parts of work, and incorporate it into end solution
OUT: OTHER FINANCIAL MEANS ### to AUX
### opening to investment is a [→→] * Open to receive donations Must be able to receive donations in some form.
* Open to receive investment ? ###
b) "startbursts" aka "spinoffs"
c) indirect profitability (better environment, support from locals)
* existing projects
* new undertakings
Things we do not do
"data-driven advertising and market research"