GETTING A VAN @EU
< PRE-DRAFT >
201809xx notes started
20190202 reread +d:
tagging stuff that should be out
20190204 moved from X
20190701 overview of this mess
20210219 quick read <D
* 🔗hackbase-type2 and 🔗base-eu : EU type2 setup
* 🔗trucko, 🔗trucko-new : Canarias type2 setup, Infos on VW LTs, ...
* 🔗hackbase-type4 : harbours, etc
Table of Contents
[/] DOCUMENT STATUS @ 2019-07
* STATUS = UNKNOWN:
A) go ahead
B) pause because X until Y
C) not now
* Define budget !!!
*** [!!] DECIDE
* Gasoline / Diesel:
* Diesels cannot enter some towns
* "none of these vehicles have cat[alizator]s
* 4x4 (syncro) ?
* Size / edition:
* NEED: crane?:
* NEED: attachment system
* NEED: container system ... see 🔗container
* Size / general:
* more space
* looks cooler
* easier for cities ???
* cheaper FR roads
* easier to drive?
* less consumption?
* Size / wheels:
* 4 or 6 wheels (like LT 40):
"double backwheels are more extensive to exchange"
"totally different differential ratios"
"it's a mule for daily work"
* ability to pass technical examination:
CT(France) // TÜV (Germany) // ITV (Spain):
* WHAT ACTUALLY INFLUENCES THIS?
what is the variance between different cars?
"i just go to Berlin and i don't care and noone stops me" ... "many times i was passing cops and nothing" ... "maybe i would pay 1500€"
* given condition - where could it drive?
* should it be already furnished:
less work + previous owner invested + good basis
* do I need 5 seats and 4 sleeps really ?
* solar panels + internal electric could be great to have
* barres de toit, bike stand,
more of a bigger project
has different options, like:
B1) container (on platform chassis)
* get help:
* +james.paillard (wood work)
(practical considerations when making a purchase)
* on who's name will the car be bought
* where to store it when not on the islands
* who will drive it?
* who pays it?
* total costs estimation (with and without repair investments)
(then, what to expect from it and what not)
* a place to cook, sleep
* to explore, having part for a lab there, extra storage, ...
* consider isolation !
* solar equipment
* smart rope & box interior
* make extra space on the roof(?)
*** OPEN QUESTIONS (QQQ)
? HOW IS EUROPE SPECIFIC VS CANARIAS
* winters are cold:
== you need to stay inside
== you need to have #harbours ... 🔗hackbase-type4
* legal ceritifaction system is different everywhere, more strict
* roads are faster, more dangerous, longer, ...
* longer distances
* easier to store at somebody for some time
* more crime (danger of breaking in)
? how to heat in winters
"installation is very easy, but you need gas for it to run"
? What if it is a (real, bigger) truck
* Driving licence // Permis poids lourd
(get infos on process, prices, etc)
*** VAN CONCEPT
CHT: Storage + Transport of Type2 base
See 🔗hackbase-type2 !
PAU: “Etextiles on wheels” / “Fibervan”
A nomadic (e)textile / (hyper)textile workshop / (hack)base:
- Bring skills and materials to remote place (local workshops)
- Meet local infrastructures, makerspaces etc...
- Meet traditional textiles in Europe (ex Latvia, Estonia, Slovenia...)
- Collaborate with sustainable housing and others alike
- Temporary resident with tools
A nomadic workspace for (e)textiles needs:
- basic tools (like pifpack style)
- low electricity consumption soldering iron (USB <Irene)
- knitting machine :)
How versatile can this be?
Space arrangements and setups, what should be fixed, what should be setup for special cases...
Question of electricity needs for machines such as vinyl cutter, irons, sewing machine...
- Can a generator be charged with solar panels?
Mobility: mountain bike ?!
More Questions !
Life: sleeping accomodation + cooking facility
What about heating?
And water access ? Are buckets enough ?
Shower??? Hot water ???
LOOK AT SIMILAR PROJECTS
* mobile hackerspace
* nomadic workshops
* carpenter apprenticeship (German)
* alternative living
Document on 🔗alike !
[!→] 2018/10 | Pau finds a VW LT 40 @Berlin
### >PAU : FIX THIS CONTENT
Pau biking around doing an inquiry on vans @Berlin.
Found an actual sales advesrtisment:
LT40 / 44 ???, 1993
to sell 1500€
it´s quite big for a VW
has a cool roof installation
back rack bike?
some external rust and poor finish (should be easy to fix + paint)
* cheap wooden interior
* nice window light
* ceiling light
* 3 seats in front
+ additional bench
* gas kitchen + cuttlery stuff
* uses water container
+ used water container under sink
* a toilet ?
* possibility for an eletric cooler to be plugged (instead ?)
* solar panel
* plugs to charge phones (also on car battery)
* mattress for 2
+ additional for 3 (possible 4)
+ moskito net
* table can be unmounted for more than 2 sleeps
* quite a bit of storage space under bed and above front seats
* TÜV !!! (technical examination - MOT/ITV/...)
* therefore ~2000€ reparations:
* loose direction
* too much diesel consumption detected
... what else?
"Why are they sellling?"
* had it for 9 years
* made quite a lot on the installation
* travelled until last month (Scotland)
* family with 1 daughter and a coming baby...
"kid moves around a bit too much, not enough space for 4"
* don´t want to invest anymore for the TÜV
More infos on LT
See 🔗trucko and 🔗trucko-new !
What´s the weight of this beauty???
The number after LT denotes the maximum weight of the vehicle in my case 2.8 tonnes and go up to 5 tonnes on an LT50. So LT28, LT31, LT35, LT45, LT50.
confusing answers... guys, the question was clear...
My LT40 was downrated with the DVLA to 3500kg as its now classed as a 'motorhome'. Which I think would mean you could drive it on your car licence.
As fuel economy, mines a 2.4 petrol (high top) with a weber carb on it and she's returning about 18mpg. However with it being an LT40 the gearing is lower but she still came home from VanFest last night at 60mph (according to the speedo!!) whilst pulling a little trailer.
There was a little bit left in her but not much! :P
todo 20181007 morning
specific mechanical concerns
* estimate of 2000€ reparations
* be more precise, do they have a report or something to show?
* if I do it myself maybe
* but if not... be realistic
-> his general opinion:
I could find some in better state for ~3500€ without the troubles of these unclear reparations
nice exercise anyway to do this process
Collection of opinions
20190921 : Harbour BE
space in Belgium,
david suggests them to work on an infrastructure for people to get what they need
(build trust networks based on proven mastered skills and knowledge)
+ COD.act Suiss guys :
* had an office in a deprecated locomotive
* parked for a while on a rail between fret trains
* Spanish project
* live in a crashed airplane...
get a two floors bus
+++ has already windows
+++ large space = imagine bedroom + living space upstairs / workshop + kitchen downstairs
- - too much like a house ?
- - weight restrictions, less manoeuvrable for roads etc ?
(look at US and Australian School bus projects, pretty cool)
also see Captain America with Mortensen <3
Infos Fanny: 20180912
* Renault Traffic
* aménagement rudimentaire avec lit et plaque gaz
* en transit, Classe 1 pour les péages autoroutiers
* reste dans des maisons, ocasionnellement dort dans le van
* avantage pour se garer en ville
Infos Romain: 20180913
* bcp de choses à vérifier devant le camion (visite)
* sentir le vendeur
cf Maurin et l´alignement des planètes
1- si pas d´idée précise de ce que je veux / pour commencer:
* regarder les annonces dans le budget envisagé
* chercher des infos sur la marque/le modèle
* en France et en Allemagne les camions sont plus chers
* considérer la Roumanie ou la Bulgarie (cf David et la Pologne)
* si un peu aménager regarder la Belgique et l´Italie aussi
"camtard peinard" sur FB pour demander l´avis sur des annonces
*** GENERAL USEFUL ??? [NEEDS WORK]
"CT" (France) technical examination
" Attention, toutes les vieilleries des années 2000 même avec peu de kilomètres ne passent pas les nouvelles exigences du contrôle technique français de mai 2018 "
... holy shit
* homologation VASP CC & CT
ahahah "véhicule de collection" >3,5t = pas de CT !!! gnehehehehe
Where to buy vans in EU? (like VW LT)
* Germany has lots of VW offers
* France shows Renault, Citroen
* Polish !!!
* East Europe (Croatia etc)
AUTO TECH DICTIONARIES !
vocab FR-EN-DE-ES-SLO https://ethercalc.org/2dpsr0we0wxm
not looked at - todo !!!:
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.