< PRE-DRAFT >
Nootropics (also called smart drugs, neuro enhancers ...) are substances that improve one or more aspects of cognitive performance. CHT predominantly engaged in organizing crowd-wisdom on the topic.
2015/2016 main interest period
20210614 push <L →PD
Table of Contents
|1||( intro )|
|2.2.2||@ Select ext resources|
|3||*** IN PRACTICE|
|3.1||GOALS / TARGETS|
|3.1.1||* focus and attention|
|3.2.1||* define the goal|
|3.2.2||* look into "what works for who"|
|3.2.4||* keep a log|
|3.3||STORAGE & PRESERVATION|
|3.3.1||* cool & dry|
|3.3.2||* away from oxigen|
|3.3.3||* label and date|
|4||*** SUBSTANCES & TYPES|
|4.2||2) SYNTHETIC / "SMART DRUGS"|
|4.3||A) CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM STIMULANTS|
|4.3.3||* Eugeroics [wakefulness-promoting agents]|
|5||*** @ CHT [M↑]|
|6||*** also see / #tomerge|
|6.1||CHT @ CCC: public sessions|
|7.2||Anti-flue hot ginger&curcuma drink|
( intro )
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
/" This Master Hyde, if he were studied,’ thought he, ‘must have secrets of his own; black secrets, by the look of him; secrets compared to which poor Jekyll’s worst would be like sunshine. Things cannot continue as they are. It turns me cold to think of this creature stealing like a thief to Harry’s bedside; poor Harry, what a wakening! And the danger of it; for if this Hyde suspects the existence of the will, he may grow impatient to inherit. Ay, I must put my shoulder to the wheel if Jekyll will but let me,’ he added, ‘if Jekyll will only let me.’ For once more he saw before his mind’s eye, as clear as a transparency, the strange clauses of the will. "/
aka "smartdrugs", "cognitive enhancers", ...
... drugs, supplements, and other substances that are claimed to improve cognitive function, particularly executive functions, memory, creativity, or motivation, in healthy individuals. While many substances are purported to improve cognition, research is at a preliminary stage as of 2021, and the effects of the majority of these agents are not fully determined.
* "I also think I'm sharper when I eat the stuff that our brains are made of"
* Modifying self-identified negative behaviours (OCD, ADD, ...)
* "It's amazing, I just don't get why people don't know about it"
* "Although, higher energy levels and subtlety enhanced focus, the only real gain of noots, is not to be underrated"
doubting noots: http://www.facebook.com/groups/officialnootropics/permalink/10152962318179360/
* "Also noots are not made to increase IQ but to protect and repair the brain"
* "As a neuropsychologist and acupuncturist I can tell you that [...] Nootropics and natural therapies are an should be a severe threat to conventional psychiaty/psychiatrists."
* "There are also many people that react quite differently to many of these things, due to certain gene expressions we don't fully understand yet"
@ Select ext resources
* http://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/wiki/beginners <------- !!!!!!!!!!
* http://www.reddit.com/r/nootropics/wiki/faq :
(good dosage info, etc)
* https://pit-pit.com (online @ BE & NL)
* amazon ###!!!
More via 🔗markets
*** IN PRACTICE
GOALS / TARGETS
* focus and attention
<--------------(new) GOALS ↑
* define the goal
* look into "what works for who"
* measure quantities → milligram scales
* process into pills
* keep a log
STORAGE & PRESERVATION
* cool & dry
generally away from sunlight
use colored glass containers for storage
never store herbs in metal ones!
* away from oxigen
* label and date
Measure Your Cognitive Performance:
* Quantified Mind
* Cambridge Brain Sciences
are free tools which can test your cognitive performance over time.
<-----------------------------------(new) IN PRACTICE ↑↑↑
*** SUBSTANCES & TYPES
→ "HERBS AND PLANT DERIVED COMPOUNDS"
"Natural nootropics - These include all-natural ingredients like herbs and plant extracts that have been evaluated for their ability to enhance cognition. These substances are not regulated by the FDA and are restricted from making certain claims."
2) SYNTHETIC / "SMART DRUGS"
These are pharmaceutical agents that can have a strong effect on mental functions. They often require a prescription and are used under medical supervision.
A) CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM STIMULANTS
Systematic reviews and meta-analyses of clinical human research using low doses of certain central nervous system stimulants found that these drugs enhaenhance cognition in healthy people. In particular, the classes of stimulants that demonstrate cognition-enhancing effects in humans act as direct agonists or indirect agonists of dopamine receptor D1, adrenoceptor A2, or both types of receptor in the prefrontal cortex. Relatively high doses of stimulants cause cognitive deficits.
* inhibitory control
* episodic memory
* working memory
* aspects of attention
* memory consolidation
* improved recall of information in non-ADHD youth.
* task saliency (motivation to perform a task)
* performance on tedious tasks that required a high degree of effort
* working memory
* episodic memory
* inhibitory control
* aspects of attention
* planning latency
* task saliency and performance on tedious tasks.
* Eugeroics [wakefulness-promoting agents]
* alertness, particularly in sleep-deprived individuals
* facilitates reasoning and problem solving in non-ADHD yout
* enhances executive function
Increases alertness and attentional performance.
* alerting and orienting attention
* episodic and working memory
* slightly improves fine motor performance
(20210614 more in L personal notes)
<-----------------------------------(new) INDEX ↑↑↑
*** @ CHT [M↑]
<-------------------- (new) @ CHT ↑
*** also see / #tomerge
CHT @ CCC: public sessions
CHT organized well-attended co-writing ethering workshops at the CCC:
Second meeting of hackers researching or using nootropics.
Nootropics (also called smart drugs, neuro enhancers ...) are substances which improve one or more aspects of cognitive performance.
Nootropic substances range from basic brain building blocks (L-Dopa, B vitamins and related compounds, e.g. Choline, and minerals like Magnesium and Zinc ...), herbal extracts (Ginkgo, Ginseng, Bacopa, Rhodiola Rosea ...), functional foods (Probiotics, Royal Jelly, Fortified food ...), to synthetic compounds (Racetams, Noopept ...).
Even if you're not interested in hacking your brains, you might already be failing on the basics.
Apparently ~80% of people are deficient in Magnesium, in part because it's as much as 5x less available in our food than it was in the 1950s, as a result of soil depletion. A large percentage or people are also deficient in Vitamin D, especially in places farther away from the equator, or *people who spend most of the day indoors* (!), where there is less light to produce this vitamin naturally.
Bring your noots and notes. This will be a roundtable discussion, and an etherpad will be kept.
Disclaimer: Orga are not pharmacists or doctors. Please do come if you are one.
Some topics we'll talk about:
- timing supplement use
- interactions between them
- quantifying results, blind tests, etc
- how and where to get noots
- healthy diets and habits
- sharing research and data
- nootropics in hackbases
"As the name suggests, grape seed powder is made from crushing the small seeds and skin of red grapes. The seeds of plants often contain a high concentration of nutrients, which support the plant as it grows."
"""Grind both the dried seeds and skins separately in a grinding appliance. Grind extracts until they form a fine powder. Combine the powdered seed extract with the powdered skin extract unless you prefer separate supplements of both seed and skin extract. Fill individual empty gelatin capsules with your powdered mixture."""
"in morning, mix a teaspoon with grapeseed powder with fruitjuice and consume it"
"How much grape seed extract should you take? There is no firmly established dose of grape seed extract. Doses of between 100-300 milligrams/day have been used in studies and are prescribed in some European countries. No one knows what the highest safe dose is"
* side effects:
* There is evidence that grape seed extract is beneficial for a number of cardiovascular conditions.
* Grape seed extract may help with a type of poor circulation (chronic venous insufficiency) and high cholesterol.
* Contains antioxidants
* These are substances that protect cells from damage and may help prevent many diseases.
Anti-flue hot ginger&curcuma drink
* 200ml boiled water (45° when adding honey)
* 1 ts ginger(powder)
* 1 ts kurkuma(powder)
* 1 ts cinamon (powder or stick)
* 1/2 ts cayenne peper
* 1/2 lemonjuice
via : https://www.bundelt.nl/natuurlijke-anti-griep-thee
* first it made me feel even more ill:
* headick came up straight after first couple of sips
* bit nausea
* then, after 5 minutes:
* leaky nose,
* energy running trough my vains, wow!
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.