< DRAFT >
The self-hosted realtime, collaborative pads. Also, powering this site via 🔗E2H.
20200906 pre-pub, push to draft
Table of Contents
the blog !
Documentation (prob not the latest version!)
public feature requests ...
(as of 20190709, to my knowledge ...)
* a decent installation instruction for etherpad
* has mysql with utfmb4
* has ssl (let's encrypt)
* has restarter
* regular troublehshooting resources
* sanity check for instance
* how to effectively collaborate on pads?
Like 🔗workflow-ethering !
* https://github.com/ether/etherpad-lite/wiki/How-to-use-Etherpad-Lite-with-MySQL (BAD, SHOULD WORK TO CHANGE)
new / tocheck:
___________________ look good!
* https://vanad.is/how-to-host-etherpad.html (no utf8mb4 mysql certainty)
New own docs ...
See dcht00🔗##### !
BACKUP + RESTORE
(EXISTING DOCS) ... meh:
*** POST !!!
!!!!!! finish and report these
* selecting styles does not work (start to write - they deselet):
* (they only for selecting and styling existing text)
* beginning of line they don't even set (buttons not visible)
* after that, they do, but
* default new UI contrast:
* (example @ https://video.etherpad.org theme)
* not enough contrast on style buttons
* default text is too bright, needs to be darker
* WEIRD CURSOR BEHAVIOURS on wrapped line:
* from below going up - does not end up on end
* gets stuck (but only on first character!)
* no stable link to latest version of documentation:
I suggest it would be good to point https://etherpad.org/doc either to:
a) an index of docs <--
b) or the last version of them
* 100% cpu, then FAILURE (via timeouts) on moving bigger pads:
My instance has ___ mb mysql DB.
Pad in question has ___ edits (seen with most bigger pads).
Command (via Curl) fails after ___ seconds.
Log (on "DEBUG" says) ___
* you have space indented lines:
(like this ... select whole line + copy + position to start of line + paste)
it pastes, then gets merged on end of line
* you're on a tabulator indented line & line above it is empty:
instead of deleting the indentation, it deletes the empty line above it.
(this makes it difficult to clean random indents)
* loading delay in timeslider view, without any indication:
on long documents, it takes maybe a minute (or more?) to load the revisions
until then, the playback is rolling. but it's all foo.
A) freeze playback until it's loaded
B) indicate progress of loading
* connection failures (with lost content) happen all the time:
* reconnect, i haven't seen working once ... it's a sign the thing will fail.
* how to have an updated status if still connected?:
A) maintain "lest ping" timer, if not reached, have a yellow light somewhere. make this optional.
* how to not lose content?
what could be done about this?:
A) work with local storage:
* "base" version updates ought to be applied to
* when reconnected, did anything change? nope? apply!
* try copying in something from gnome terminal, as "Copy as HTML" (with right click):
at least for some inpiuts (while testing with E2H_PSTE) it breaks etherpad when pasting ... :
1) view is fucked
2) you can still type but it's all fucked
it seems it's because it all wraps into a <pre> window! and this isn't stripped
NOT EASY TO REPRODUCE ?
* copying in a tab-space, it default to 8 characters:
* defaulting to 4
* making it a setting
* ... also tabulation should be (optionally, at least) spaces based:
tab + shift-tab should work to a pre-defined spacing level
* listallpads API should include time (and maybe revision no):
A) all include this info (for backwards compatibility, add opt-in flag)
B) listallpads changed after T
* very big pads fail to export .etherpad
(give "proxy error")
it works as a localhost export!
this means it's a proxy timeout problem!
find if this is documented yet
and where to change it (in a sensible way)
* fail to "import" very big .etherpad files (30MB)
maybe same (timeouts) problem?
check debug log!
<------------------------------------- (new) BUGS
* merge two pads & preserve history!:
1) on existing pod
2) etherpad export from pod 1 → import to pod 2
v1) just append it at end (while preserving timestamps). then the people can manually merge.
v2) do more fancy stuff
<------------------------------------- (new) FEATURES
bug: rename of bigger pads fails
(20190710, and oldie)
in a really weird way?
just crashes instance?
case "huje" 20190710:
* first failed + crashed instance:
nothing in WARN-level logs !
* second time ...:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<title>502 Proxy Error</title>
<p>The proxy server received an invalid
response from an upstream server.<br />
The proxy server could not handle the request <em><a href="/api/1.2.13/movePad">GET /api/1.2.13/movePad</a></em>.<p>
Reason: <strong>Error reading from remote server</strong></p></p>
<address>Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu) Server at pad.totalism.org Port 443</address>
* ... but i went to source e2h and it was not there
* ... and destination was and nothing broke !
* so WTF
CHECK THESE PLUGINS !!!!!!
* https://www.npmjs.com/package/ep_mypads :
users and permissions
what FRAMA uses !!!
* https://www.npmjs.com/package/ep_htaccess_auth :
maybe simple permissions ?
* https://www.npmjs.com/package/ep_insert_text :
WOW - autocomplete from ext source!
* https://www.npmjs.com/package/ep_author_neat :
colour author names ???
with CSS - usefull for Q&A, #templates, etc
* https://www.npmjs.com/package/ep_export_authors :
... another same one !!!
!!! #tomerge my resources from "###linux"
#tomerge and publish !!!!!!
!!! publish this site, by linking it to...
* etherpad wiki
* etherpad mailing list
(Site generated by E2H, an "Etherpad hypermedia" project by @dcht00).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.